Must Have Plugins for Wordpress

bryce12

For me it depends on the structure, design and the topic of the site I'm building with WordPress, as I use it like a CMS not a blogging platform. I tend to use plugins such as AdsCaptcha, SolveMedia, Hide Admin Bar, Article submit front page, plugins like those, that can really make WordPress work fully from the front end and pretty much remove the backend.

I try to keep them to a minimum, but still I need few of them. I'd be dead without akismet, so this is THE FIRST one I activate *(since it's already in the install). I then use a SEO plugin and a cache one. Never saw its use, but, once the blog gets a better traffic, this is useful. I also use the 'top commentators' plugin and the pagination one.

• 2 months later...

I have used on plug-in which I liked very much.

It's The Guardian News Service plug-in. With this plug-in, you can access all The Guardian articles and publish them on your site, with their explicit permission. The only thing you cannot do is change the content but you can add your own commentary at the top. There is actually a space set aside at the top of every article which is clearly marked for this purpose.

I use it when my creative juices run dry. It's a lot better than paying someone else to write. This way I am sure of getting professional quality content.

Has anyone else tried it?

It's The Guardian News Service plug-in. With this plug-in, you can access all The Guardian articles and publish them on your site, with their explicit permission. The only thing you cannot do is change the content but you can add your own commentary at the top. There is actually a space set aside at the top of every article which is clearly marked for this purpose.

I'm just giving this a try on a couple of my Flippa sites where I use news for low maintenance updates. I must say it looks promising but OH MY GOD the Guardian's site is so horrifically inefficient. Back and forth, back and forth... I've been sent to about 8 different pages just to try to get a signup done. I daren't even begin to imagine how much work will be involved in getting a key and publishing. They SUCK at development. :(

Update: just got it installed. No automation, no saved searches... very much a last-ditch utility as-is, for the times when there's nothing else to write about. I won't be using it much, if at all.

Edited by SpikeTheLobster

Thanks for the list. :D My site is powered by wordpress and these are definitely some helpful plugins. :D Greatly appreciated. :D If anyone knows how to integrate IP.Board 3.x with Wordpress please let me know. :D I'm also looking to do this for free if possible, or at a more affordable price then that at IPBWI.

Akismet and Google Analyticator. Don't need anything else. :D

I just found and started using another one that is an absolute godsend for low-maintenance domain-boosting sites. If you're looking to build up Alexa and other ranking without putting in too much effort (you know, the standard "buy cheap PLR content and slap it on a blog" approach), get the Editorial Calendar.

Shows your posts in a calendar format in admin view and allows you to schedule drafts or published posts direct from the calendar. Makes it incredibly easy to set up twice- or thrice-a-week posting from a single interface, then just edit individual posts if you need to. I just set up a month's blogging on two separate domains in under half an hour. Awesome. :D

For that matter, I'm putting it on my proper blogs, too. It's just incredibly easy to see everything and post.

Edited by SpikeTheLobster

• 6 years later...

Major 5 plugins for WordPress:

Revive Old Post: This plugin can help you drive traffic to your site using social media.

Yoast SEO:  You can increase your organic traffic using simple SEO techniques.

UpdraftPlus:  UBackups are critical for any website, and this plugin makes them simple.

Compress JPEG and PNG: Image compression can help you make your site load faster.

WP Rocket:  This is a powerful caching solution that will speed up your website.

• 1 month later...