Windows vs Linux Servers

Nathan

17 members have voted

1. 1. Windows vs Linux Servers

• Windows
    • Linux

• Administrators

So which do you prefer and why?

I've had both and I like Linux better. It really does run things that I use faster. Most everything I use is PHP though and not .net.

What are you guys experiences?

My vote goes with Linux as well since it is more stable and manages the resources better. I read somewhere that almost 90% web servers use UNIX in one form or other so there is a good reason for Linux's popularity. Even though Windows servers are quite stable, they have a poor track recod when compared to Linux.

I didn't have a choice when I got my hosting account. My ISP pretty much uses Linux for all hosting plans.

Anyway, it didn't matter because I was planning on learning about Linux and I wanted access to open source projects out there (which are mostly Linux-based). So, I started using Linux and other open source applications.

Windows for me, though I will agree that Linux servers are faster and cheaper. However I manage a Windows network (11-18 school) which uses Active Directory and many other Microsoft services. We do have a couple of Linux servers, but they're much outnumbered by Windows servers. Also, I'm still at an early stage of experience in servers, so Windows is a good point for me to be at. :)

One person voted Windows, 9 people voted Linux, that says something.

I chose Linux, I'd never use Windows on a server. Licensing costs are a little extreme in my opinion, as well as that, from what I've heard, it's not the most stable platform for servers.

I have only used Linux based hosting services until now and since all my sites run on php/mysql I don't need anything else. Have seen some windows hosting too, but, if my needs are well covered by a Linux based server, I see no reason to complicate my life.

I have only used Linux based hosting services until now and since all my sites run on php/mysql I don't need anything else. Have seen some windows hosting too, but, if my needs are well covered by a Linux based server, I see no reason to complicate my life.

Yeah, that and you've got to consider the many more security vulnerabilities that Windows has. I'd be a nervous wreck operating a Windows server. Doesn't seem to be a week go by where's that not a security update for Windows.

I used to prefer Windows...

Now I much prefer Linux (now I know how to use it well). Windows is bad for websites and is slow, but Linux is just faster and much more reliable altogether!

More reliable if you know how to use it, if you don't, it's a pain in the backside.

• 1 month later...

For a webserver I would also pick a Linux one. But most of the time I need to run some heavy tasks on a really powerful PC. For these heavy tasks I prefer Windows mostly because it allows me to easily edit and compile the server's source directly on the server machine without having to transfer Gigabytes of data back and forth. And with a 24core machine, you are not going to notice the performance difference anyway.

Linux because it's much more simpler and faster. ;)

Simplicity is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm fairly inexperienced with server management, but I can handle Windows servers much easier than I could handle Linux.

• 2 weeks later...

Linux server hand down!

I've made a server running on Linux using my old CPU parts back in the day and I gotta admit the server was faster and better.

I've also experimented with a Windows server, yes it has it's upsides but it's less stable compared to a Linux one.

Edited by johnr