What's your biggest challenge in Website development?

bryce12

Hey guys,

What kind of challenges do you face during website development? For me the biggest challenge is to ensure that my website appears the same in all the browsers. Different browsers support different implementations, so arriving at something that works best under different conditions is surely a huge challenge. What about you?

Bryce

I'd agree with that. making the designs look right in all of them is really not easy, especially since, no matter how nice and clean your code is IE for instance will have a mind of its own. Sometimes adjusting a layout to be cross-browser compatible can take a lot of time, maybe more than working on it initially.

The layout is my biggest problem. Since I'm a freelance writer, content's not a problem but I really have no clue about the artistic side of things and that's a serious liability. I'm already worrying about it for my upcoming (big) site. Even apparently simple things like the choice of colours can have a dramatic effect on the way the site is seen by people and that's frightening for someone like me. I have plenty of understanding of what's WRONG when I look at other sites but seeing that in my own - and correcting it - is a real blind spot for me.

Traffic :P

This should help: http://scrawlbug.com/2011/06/12/49-ways-to-bring-more-traffic-to-your-blog-or-website/ :D

It takes time to build decent traffic, that much is for sure. Avoid crappy traffic options like exchanges, paid visits, PTC and so on - go for the long-term drivers that will keep working no matter how many months go by.

I like the way you only have 11 :P I only just noticed it was your article by the avatar in the comments at the bottom.

I have done most of these, and currently waiting on a much needed update to the main application (Simple, but important)

As far as participation in the forum goes, it's none existent. I have set up numerous topics to try and coax in somebody with no luck, I'm currently chatting away to myself.

I really need to work on the core subject of the site and get people who are active in that field to start posting.

Oh and one more thing I didn't really take into consideration when I designed the site is, people who like outdoor sports spend most of their time outdoors. Not indoors on websites! Doh.

• Administrators

Do you try to write an article per day? I would pick a good topic and do this daily. People will then find there way there via SERPS and may want to join and ask questions/comments about your subject.

Hey guys,

What kind of challenges do you face during website development? For me the biggest challenge is to ensure that my website appears the same in all the browsers. Different browsers support different implementations, so arriving at something that works best under different conditions is surely a huge challenge. What about you?

Bryce

That's it... I lost hours and hours making and testing in all known browsers. It is really hard to make something you like, in all browsers. I had a TV Website, and many times i had to recommend a browser. Also, some of my websites are too big for little screens, and for unknown reason it doesn't adjust.

That's maybe because i am new to Web Development..

I like the way you only have 11 :) I only just noticed it was your article by the avatar in the comments at the bottom.

11 in part 1... there are four parts to that list.

Nathan's had an impressive increase in traffic and Alexa ratings and everything here... maybe we should all hassle him into revealing a little of his strategy or, even better, the tactics... maybe if we hold his puppy for ransom... :)

Time.

It's actually the main reason I haven't redesigned my current websites, even though they need it. I just don't have the time to deal with all these different things, like making sure it looks right in all the browsers, fixing any glitches, changing around addons, tweaking things to how I like them, testing repeatedly, etc. Technically my current one is working fine, so "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"....but if I had the time to devote to it more, I certainly would.

11 in part 1... there are four parts to that list.

Nathan's had an impressive increase in traffic and Alexa ratings and everything here... maybe we should all hassle him into revealing a little of his strategy or, even better, the tactics... maybe if we hold his puppy for ransom... :)

Noticed this after I had posted. Apologies.

Time.

It's actually the main reason I haven't redesigned my current websites, even though they need it. I just don't have the time to deal with all these different things, like making sure it looks right in all the browsers, fixing any glitches, changing around addons, tweaking things to how I like them, testing repeatedly, etc. Technically my current one is working fine, so "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"....but if I had the time to devote to it more, I certainly would.

Yeah I too have this same issue, I sometimes get put off by tweeking my site around is because I know too many times when i try to adjust something, 10 new problems arise.

This should help: http://scrawlbug.com...log-or-website/ :)

It takes time to build decent traffic, that much is for sure. Avoid crappy traffic options like exchanges, paid visits, PTC and so on - go for the long-term drivers that will keep working no matter how many months go by.

I've looked at this site and have done a lot of that stuff listed, but still traffic is pretty hard to come by. :) I've really come to the realization that you need a TON of friends to help spread the word. Word of mouth is almost paramount in the start of a site... especially if it's something that's done many times over.

For me everything is challenged lol.

I hardly know the web designing, programming, technical part etc.

G!

I'm kinda with you on that one but I have a little bit of a twist to my answer. I know what I'm doing it's just getting it all right is what is hard for me.. For example I know how to get the traffic there but how do I get them to stay there.. Then making a good first impression, I mean we all have challenges so I wont try and beat myself to far.

• 1 month later...

The biggest challenge in Website development is when you do everything yourself. Graphic Design, Page Layout, Traffic, SEO optimization, coding, ect. In some areas you may lack, but you want all areas to be as close to perfect as possible to run a successful website. The biggest single challenge I had when designing my first few websites was definitely making it appear the same in all browsers, and keeping the site centered in all desktop resolutions.

• 2 weeks later...

For my the most challenging and exciting part of building web applications is the area of:

Scalability and Performance!

This is a software engineers dream (most anyway), designing architecture for big sites is both amazing and sometimes daunting.

All these these things to contend with, sharding, NoSQL?, caching policy, clusters, heart beats, hot fail-overs....

Anyway that's my passion, your mileage may vary :)

• 1 year later...

My biggest challenge is designers block. There are some projects I am working on that will drag on for months because I cannot come up with a look and feel that I am happy with. Sometimes the only thing that will help me is to take on some other projects that I am excited about, and then come back to the one that is giving me trouble. Other times this has backfired on me when I get too swamped with projects.

• 4 months later...

The worst thing that I have faced during designing and coding a website is putting 2 boxes inside each other. Let's say for example I was coding a wordpress theme and wanted the main box to be grey and the second box the one that will be on top of it that will contain content to be dark grey. I always hard a really hard time to do it and never succeeded so I just had to get a ready made theme and edit it my own self.

• 6 months later...

When I used to do sites on the side,  my biggest issue was getting the customer involved and getting content back or approved.

It seemed to happen every time,  would say they would 'get that to me right away'  and then never hear back.

So I would end up having to make it up myself,  but I guess if I was the customer I would want to be more involved in what my website said about my business. 

Steady traffic has been my biggest problem, one day I get a lot of visitors and the next day I only have a handful. And for the life of me I can not figure out why one day I get a lot of visitors and the next day I get nothing. I have checked over the awstats logs and the google analytics logs and nothing is out of the ordinary. 

Greg