techtonic

favorite php frameworks

If you are building a large project, a php framework can help. I've used Kohana and a little bit of Zend. I can't say much about Zend since I haven't used it as much, but Kohana is great once you learn how it works. It uses a model-view-controller system that you want to follow. Anyone use a different framework they like?

I have fooled around a little bit with both CakePHP and code igniter. Have launched Kohana as well but Zend looks somewhat complicated to start with. I can't really say which I like the most but what I have heard is that code igniter doesn't eat up memory as much as other frameworks. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm not sure I understand exactly what a framework is, but at what point should someone consider using a framework?

A framework is basically a bunch useful tools that are ready to use out of the box. You don't have to do everything from scratch when using a framework. For example building a new MVC framework from scratch takes a lot of time and if you do it alone it will probably be full of bugs which will slow the production down. Say you want to build a new CMS, you'll need a lot of things that will take a long time to build yourself like authentication, an access control layer, routing for pretty links etc. Most MVC frameworks have all these things so you don't have to worry about building stuff like that, They are often open source as well and a lot of people have been working on it for years so there will be fewer bugs.