How to clean the trackball on your Blackberry.

Newmy

Okay, so recently my Blackberry Curve 8900 started playing up and I lost control of the track ball. I could roll it in any direction but it didn't seem to be registering it. I spoke to the people in T-Mobile and they said I'd have to send it off for a few days. Being as stubborn as I am, and coupled with the fact I couldn't live without my phone for a few days i thought I'd give it a go myself.

I found out that all I had to do was clean the dust and grease out and it'd be fine.

So what you'll need for this is a prying tool (a small  flathead Phillips screwdriver should do) and a T6 Torx Screwdrivers.

Rather than spell it all out for you I'll link you to the two videos I found most helpful.

For the overall disassembly of the phone i used this video. The 8900 seems to be the most diffcult to disassemble so I'll link the video for that specific model.

Then for the instructions on the actual cleaning of the trackball i thought this was the best video i could find.

Dont forget when taking out the pins that it's important they go back in the same way they came out otherwise the ball will act in reverse (right is down, down is left, left is up and up is right, and so on).

I take no credit for these tutorials i just thought someone should put them in the same place.

Hope this helps.

Right i have a curve 8250 and my trackpad seems to have sunk into the case if that makes sense? Ive been on people curves and thier trackpad kinda stuck out and you could feel it properly under your thumb but mine is level with the outer casing so its pretty annoying.. If anyone could find me a decent tutorial on how to sort it id be grateful as ive had no luck finding one

Right i have a curve 8250 and my trackpad seems to have sunk into the case if that makes sense? Ive been on people curves and thier trackpad kinda stuck out and you could feel it properly under your thumb but mine is level with the outer casing so its pretty annoying.. If anyone could find me a decent tutorial on how to sort it id be grateful as ive had no luck finding one

Have you tried dissasembling it and then reassembling it. The first video I linked to should cover all that. It could however be a problem with the front case, in that it's not securing the trackball as it should. You could always buy a new case if that's is the problem.

Very useful info! Heard it's quite an often problem with Blackberry's!  8-)

Thanks. Aye, it happens a lot more often than BlackBerry would like to admit. Its normally just grease and dust getting on the touch sensor. It should really be cleaned every few months but whenever it stops working people tend to panic and think it's broke.

Also, in the second video it shows how to take apart the trackball and it's casing. The odds are its not assembled properly. Also, if there is an actual fault with the trackball I know for fact you can buy replacement trackballs as a friend of mine recently bought a purple one for her phone.

This actually helped quite a lot as I have the 8900 and my trackball has been playing up. Just thought I'd let you know that the links were incredibly useful. :3

Thankyou! :)

Ah thanks a lot, hope your trackball is fixed now :D.