Connecting to the Wireless Internet with My Toshiba Laptop A40-S161

Darren Mac

I bought a used laptop at a yard sale. A Toshiba A40 S-161 :pleased:

I didn't get a CD with it. I don't seem to be able to find a system restore, I don't think it has one. I don't think it has a backup either. :S

When I brought it home, and got a power cord for it, and started it up; I got a message that read " at least on service or driver failed during start up" also with one beep. :S

I was able to go to the library and connect to the wireless internet :pleased: :thumb-up:, but I think I done something to one of the settings, now I can't. :mrgreen:

At home, I have an icon on the bottom of the screen.  It says "Windows was not able to find a  certificate to log you on to the network Motorola 23B1C.  And Perhaps I wouldn't be able to log on......? :S

I don't know how to fix my computer to log on to the internet from the library again. Now it shows the icon, and when I click it on it says there is good signal and I'm connected, but when I click on the browser it say the page can't be displayed,  I can't get online.  It used to ask me for my library card number and password.  The Librarians know less than I do when it comes to these things, and they don't know who can help me???  But it is a free service site for wireless internet  (CAP Site) 

so here I am..... :'(  :@  :S

The more I resort to self help, I feel that I am making matters worse for myself. :'(

There's too much talk of #%$^%&* for me TO UNDERSTAND.  I'm computer illiterate. :o

I know that I have to learn, but It's going to take me FOREVER and a Day.I am using Windows 2003

Under the System Window:

I have a Celeron CPU ® 2.60GHz

2.59 GHz

752 MB of RAM

The C: has 37.2 GB total size and 9.22 GB of free space.

I had done a couple of Scans that say I have 10 to 13 Drivers that need an update, but I can't afford to subscribe to get the service.

Since I don't really care about the files Music, Pictures, etc. on the Laptop, Is there something, someway, I could wipe it clean?  Even put another version of Windows on it- For Free!!!!

If there is some sort of link that a person could send me to download, it sure would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. :thumb-up:

I did subscribe to NetZero Dial Up/High Speed,, and I was told a couple of weeks ago that A Norton 360 CD would be sent to me, but it remains to be seen.  And I don't know if that is going to help?????

If I could only connect to the wireless internet again,  That would be HEAVEN..  :suprised:

Please feel free to help a Desperate wanna be Geek.

Darren Mac

You have a program that checks for driver updates? And you pay for it? That sounds a bit dodgy to me. You may want to do a malware scan of your computer. I HIGHLY recommend downloading Malware Bytes' Anti-Malware, it's a free download, if you can't find it I'll upload a download link later.

You have a program that checks for driver updates? And you pay for it? That sounds a bit dodgy to me. You may want to do a malware scan of your computer. I HIGHLY recommend downloading Malware Bytes' Anti-Malware, it's a free download, if you can't find it I'll upload a download link later.

there is legit driver scanner utilities, uniblue driver scanner is the one I occasionally use

I would also try and take another Laptop or another device, to make sure it's not the actual libraries internet. It's weird how it was working one minute and the next it's not.

You should:

Try another device, to make sure it's not the actual libraries internet.

Try another browser.

Run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (http://www.filehippo.com/download/file/a965f9a15e53edf7a9544838bb903f68c5158438140f3d12e6e01e13ad7ebd85/)

Good luck, don't forget to post back :o

Thanks for your suggestion,I had installed Update Checked as you suggested.

In regards to the Wireless Internet at the Library,  Now the Update checker gives the Error: The remote name could not be resolved.

A previous Scan revealed that I needed Driver Updates for:

Intel Network Connections Software

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility

VIA Vinyl AC97 Codec Combo Drivers;    and not least of all

Intel Chepset Sevice Software.

But I don't know where to find these things,  Choosing which links download, and furthermore, most often I encounter a problem with having to enter a code-key for registration. 

Thanks for your Help.......... If there is anything else you think you could assist me of.....My Sincere Thanks,

Darren

Thanks for your suggestion,I had installed Update Checked as you suggested.

In regards to the Wireless Internet at the Library,  Now the Update checker gives the Error: The remote name could not be resolved.

A previous Scan revealed that I needed Driver Updates for:

Intel Network Connections Software

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility

VIA Vinyl AC97 Codec Combo Drivers;    and not least of all

Intel Chepset Sevice Software.

But I don't know where to find these things,  Choosing which links download, and furthermore, most often I encounter a problem with having to enter a code-key for registration. 

Thanks for your Help.......... If there is anything else you think you could assist me of.....My Sincere Thanks,

Darren

Usually those drivers can be located on the manufacturers website. Download and install them, and you should be fine. Most of the websites also ask you what operating system you're using too, to ensure you're getting the correct ones.