Choosing A forum Software

Well every forum software has its pros and cons. There are quite a lot of them out there but I agree, choosing one is one of the tough jobs to do.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money at the beginning then I would suggest choosing from MyBB or PhpBB. They both are quite good softwares although I haven't used PhpBB recently. MyBB is very user friendly, it is the easiest software I have used until today and I have been able to design/create templates in it all by myself. From a forum point of view, it is very easy for the users to navigate around the forums. There are however some features which you might not find in MyBB but you will in other paid softwares such as making the user experience better by using jQuery and Javascript.

I have not used a lot of paid softwares but from my experience, I think Xenforo is quite a good software to look at if you are willing to spend money for your forum.

I do not like how a forum are starting to become stuff like facebook. They are designed to be a forum, not some random tossed in status updates.

I'm not sure that it's a bad thing. Facebook is on it's way to be the #1 website on the internet, and is already #1 in terms of time spent. (Sure, Google has the most traffic, but that traffic leaves after a minute.)

Social interaction is what spawned the net in the first place, and forums are growing and adapting to what people expect in a website. It just happens to be Facebook-ish.

Well i always use IPB. IPB looks more sexy and it has more SEO :)

I'm going to have to completely disagree with the SEO point. As soon as I read that I did a quick look around this site and the first thing I see is that the alt text of the site's logo is "logo". To verify that it's not just this theme I checked with IPB's own support forum and it's the exact same setup. That's not doing a thing for SEO.

I'm not bashing IPB but to claim it's superior in terms of SEO to a platform such as xenforo where SEO is one of the primary factors in it's design, is way off base. :o

• Administrators

I'm going to have to completely disagree with the SEO point. As soon as I read that I did a quick look around this site and the first thing I see is that the alt text of the site's logo is "logo". To verify that it's not just this theme I checked with IPB's own support forum and it's the exact same setup. That's not doing a thing for SEO.

I'm not bashing IPB but to claim it's superior in terms of SEO to a platform such as xenforo where SEO is one of the primary factors in it's design, is way off base. :o

Ah didn't even notice that, thanks for the heads up fixed now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would say before committing to a particular forum software, try them out and test them. You will get a different view from each person you ask, and everyone will have their own bias.

Use the software that works for you. But ultimately the software are really secondary issue when it comes to forums. Starting a community, building it, maintaining it are far far more important in my view. That is the real challenge and it should be the central focus.

I usually use MyBB, but most of those forums are beginning to be the same five skins over and over (Like zetaboards ended up, I guess). Anyway, I like how IPB looks and is for the user. I have absolutely 0 experience using it as an admin though judging from this thread, it's pretty good.

I've used most forum software as a user, moderator and administrator and really they all have there pro and cons. You can make most of them do most things with a modification or 2.

MyBB is my favorite forum software. It's very user friendly for your members and also for yourself, administrator. The themes are easily customizable and there are many plugins available. If you need a custom plugin, there are people that code them for you for a very cheap price. Also, the MyBB Community is amazing, with many people that are going to help you if you have any problem.

MyBB is my far the best choice, in my opinion. And it's free.

I would say before committing to a particular forum software, try them out and test them. You will get a different view from each person you ask, and everyone will have their own bias.

Use the software that works for you. But ultimately the software are really secondary issue when it comes to forums. Starting a community, building it, maintaining it are far far more important in my view. That is the real challenge and it should be the central focus.

That's good advice. And I want to add that the best way to find out if a forum software is going to work for you is to check out the admin panel. Every person has their own idea of organization, and I find vBulletin's admin panel works the best for me.