Remember these times?

ChuckTesta

• 2 weeks later...

My first PC had Windows 95 too, but I think win98 was available too at this time. It needed 2 minutes to start up, but I was so happy that I could play GTA2. When I was 8 we bought a Highend PC with 2GHZ CPU, and the newest GPU (I think it was Nvidea 4800 or something like that.)

I was so proud that I could play the newest games like GTA VC, CoD2 etc. without any problems. :D

Well yea, those must be times of great happiness. I too thought that there can be nothing better when Windows 98 was released but of course I was wrong. Someday we will laugh at ourselve that we thought Windows 7 as the best Windows ever.

Windows 95 had four floppie disks, if I remember correctly.

Nope, 13! Maybe the four were for an upgrade version?

And actually, most did come on CD at that point, with a floppy alternative.

I went to look it up to confirm so I knew I was thinking of the right version. Here:

Most copies of Windows 95 were on CD-ROM, but a floppy version could also be had for older machines. The retail floppy disk version of Windows 95 came on 13 DMF formatted floppy disks, while OSR 2.1 doubled the floppy count to 26. Both versions exclude additional software that CD-ROM might have featured. Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95 was also available on floppy disks. DMF was a special 19-sector format Microsoft used to store 1.7MB on floppies rather than the usual 1.44MB. While the floppy edition of Windows was normally on 3.5" disks, a 5.25" version could be specially ordered as well.

:D

Nope, 13! Maybe the four were for an upgrade version?

Brings back memories of doing an install for a client on a 386 with almost no RAM from floppies. Sat there for about two HOURS while it ran. Stupid guy was stinking rich, too, so I don't know why he didn't just buy a freakin' CD-ROM. :unknw:

• 2 weeks later...

Brings back memories of doing an install for a client on a 386 with almost no RAM from floppies. Sat there for about two HOURS while it ran. Stupid guy was stinking rich, too, so I don't know why he didn't just buy a freakin' CD-ROM. :unknw:

It only took 2 hours? I'm actually quite impressed by that, lol. I would've expected it to take even longer than that. And he probably didn't buy a CD-ROM because he either didn't know what it was, that it was an option, or whether or not it was going to be something that was going to stick around.

Haha I remember my mom bought a computer with Windows 95 on it already. There was that Microsoft Encarta 96 CD that we had that was like a virtual encyclopedia and it had that cool MindMaze game on it. Lol good times!

I think I still have that CD around here somewhere.

I have that encyclopedia too! :D You've brought back a lot of memories! I still have it somewhere. What Mindmaze game??? Is that on the encyclopedia CD? My comp came pre-installed with Corel and some PGA Golf game thingy. I don't recall such a game :s

Probably floppy's still back then huh?

My comp came pre-installed so I don't remember installing it from scratch but you had to get these upgrade CDs from the stores which were really buggy. There was no automatic windows updates back in the times of dial up :)

Yeah I remember those times, even though I was much younger. The reason people went nuts over Windows 95 was that it was a huge improvement over the previous Windows 3.11 version. Plus Apple was nowhere as popular as it is today so that made Windows the only available OS for mass consumption.

• 3 weeks later...

>windows 95

I guess his happiness was short-lived. Very short lived.

I somewhat remember them. I'm pretty young my first computer was a Compaq Presario with Windows 95. The first computer I messed with to start learning about them glorious miracle machines.