How do you define SPAM?

What is your definition of SPAM? I don't really get it, many say that its a form of marketing, others say if I get too many similar mails then its spam.

So what is your opinion of SPAM? Try to give a clear and concise view on the subject.

Email marketing is definitely a great way to earn dollars however you should send emails only to those people who have opted in to your list. If you send emails to people who have not explicitly opted to receive emails from you then it would be considered as spam. Read the CAN SPAM act to learn more about spamming and how to avoid getting labelled as a spammer.

Many spam are related to marketing. Try to get people to go to another web site to buy something or simply to get the traffic. But on a forum it can be different. Once I ran a contest with reward of giving moderator power. One member tried to jack up the post counts by posting nothing but a search engine link and one sentence "I don't know the answer, but you can find a lot of information there" as reply to many threads. I would define it as spam. Funny though, when I PMed him, he said "I don't know what I did wrong". He is 67 years old as on his profile...

My definitions are pretty simple (and they're the ones I use to determine what's spam on my own sites):

Email: spam is any unsolicited email.

Comments and forum posts: spam is any response that is obviously intended to promote a link rather than provide any kind of useful information or commentary.

My definitions are pretty simple (and they're the ones I use to determine what's spam on my own sites):

Comments and forum posts: spam is any response that is obviously intended to promote a link rather than provide any kind of useful information or commentary.

This. This pretty much sums it up.

Yep, got this now. Hmm. BTW how many spam mail do you get in your inbox each day?

I have been using emails for more than 11 years, and I get only 1-2 spams a day. :D

Around 50 per day in my inbox. That's not even counting what goes into my junk mail inbox.

And I meant my SPAM box. I dont get any in the main Inbox lol. I guess my protection measures helped a lot. :D