Alright 'fess up. Who likes trolling?

Godric

I wonder how many will say the truth. I am a pretty good troller.

I normally troll on the WoW servers I play on. But they are funny and people like it!!

What about you?

What is the best trolling you did?

I hate trolls.

When i'm playing games online, if someone comes in and starts acting a fool... i leave. No need to put up with it. Plenty of other lobbies to play in.

Same goes for forums. If you can't participate in a worthwhile discussion, no need to take part.

I don't troll either. It's just not my style.

I do hang out and game with several known trolls, though, and they just love it. It's funny to watch sometimes, but because I've had to deal with trolls on forums and whatnot so much in the past, I know how annoying it can get, too.

Can't stand trolls: I've been on the support side of things (back in EverQuest) and it's just not funny. They ruin things for other people, all for a stupid ego-kick. Used to love shutting them down, though. :D

On forums it's less of an issue. I don't troll, though I can't resist a good, heated debate - the lines can get a bit blurry when things get intense like that but I've rarely ended up with a flame war or anything. And I never lose. Bwahahaha!

I wonder how many will say the truth. I am a pretty good troller.

I normally troll on the WoW servers I play on. But they are funny and people like it!!

What about you?

What is the best trolling you did?

No one is going to fess up, trolls are hated around the internet!

I will tell a short story though.

Once upon a time, it was 2am in World of Warcraft.

We were doing the boring old dungeons, but having an interesting conversation in guild chat.

There was a new guy in the guild, a US Marine. He had just got back from his tour in Iraq.

Man, did he have some interesting stories! But it had turned out we had another Marine in the guild.

A Vietnam war veteran! You don't believe it? I've voice chatted with many married couples and elderly people in World of Warcraft over the years. I wouldn't be surprised. And there are also certain typing ques you can pick up on, you know? I had thought the Marine that toured in Iraq had some interesting stories, but they were nothing compared what the nam' veteran had to say! The vet had engaged with a friendly chat with the Marine, and started to share details about his experiences. The following happened over the course of a 2 hour conversation but I'll do my best to sum it up from memory:

"served witha short negro fella, called him little tim. he was a little guy. almost got us all killed foolin with his light when we were told to go dark. he was the prankster, our guts almost burst from laughin at the time he filled Gen. Hammonds canteen with piss. we also had this weirdo platoon leader named Malcom.he fancied himself a philosopher, came up with the craziest theories on why we were fightin this war. then there was my buddy from back home in alabama. we all got to callin him Doc Grant. he was the doc, but he wasnt afraid to pick up a gun and bring hell to em."

Now at this point we had all picked up on the fact that the guy was listing off Jurassic Park characters. But the Marine didn't catch it, and he expressed interest in the stories so the troll continued:

"the bloodiest battle in the war was around Dong Xoai province. we were out on patrol, said to be lookin out for an MIA, named Rob Muldoon. we were walkin for a few hourse when little tim found a pack of cigs on the ground, he bout lost both his arms when doc grant stepped in and pointed out a wire leadin from the pack of cigs to a grenade. little while later we heard rustlin in the bushes until we heard an american voice whisper FLASH! i whispered back BANG! it was muldoon. he was bloodied up and covered in mud, looked like he'd been through hell. he looked glad to see us. but he also looked worried. without wasting time he said there was about 15 charlies on his tail and motioned us to go stealthy, back the way we came. tim said we can make it if we full on run now. Muldoon replied. No we can't. Tim asked why? muldoon said we were being hunted. he pointed ahead. he told us multiple charlies in the bushes ahead, its alright. muldoon removed his hat and motioned to us. we heard movement in the bushes ahead. GO! RUN NOW! he said as he removed his hat. everybody started runnin but i was last, i ran a little down the path but still had em in my site to cover him in case he got himself in trouble. he put his hat on a log and changed his position. damn it i lost site of him. i heard his last words "Clever girl" as he was stabbed to death by those damn vietcong. not a day goes by i dont think about muldoon. god damn that war was hell."

Something to that effect. By now everyone in the guild was uncontrollably laughing. The Marine still didn't get it so the troll continued for another hour. I think he flat out said that Velociraptors were in the Vietnam War.There was more, but that was the highlights.

When i'm playing games online, if someone comes in and starts acting a fool... i leave.

That is the one and ONLY way to deal with trolls. Any other action and you are on the losing end.

Unless of course you are having fun playing with them.

No one is going to fess up, trolls are hated around the internet!

I will tell a short story though.

Once upon a time, it was 2am in World of Warcraft.

We were doing the boring old dungeons, but having an interesting conversation in guild chat.

There was a new guy in the guild, a US Marine. He had just got back from his tour in Iraq.

Man, did he have some interesting stories! But it had turned out we had another Marine in the guild.

A Vietnam war veteran! You don't believe it? I've voice chatted with many married couples and elderly people in World of Warcraft over the years. I wouldn't be surprised. And there are also certain typing ques you can pick up on, you know? I had thought the Marine that toured in Iraq had some interesting stories, but they were nothing compared what the nam' veteran had to say! The vet had engaged with a friendly chat with the Marine, and started to share details about his experiences. The following happened over the course of a 2 hour conversation but I'll do my best to sum it up from memory:

"served witha short negro fella, called him little tim. he was a little guy. almost got us all killed foolin with his light when we were told to go dark. he was the prankster, our guts almost burst from laughin at the time he filled Gen. Hammonds canteen with piss. we also had this weirdo platoon leader named Malcom.he fancied himself a philosopher, came up with the craziest theories on why we were fightin this war. then there was my buddy from back home in alabama. we all got to callin him Doc Grant. he was the doc, but he wasnt afraid to pick up a gun and bring hell to em."

Now at this point we had all picked up on the fact that the guy was listing off Jurassic Park characters. But the Marine didn't catch it, and he expressed interest in the stories so the troll continued:

"the bloodiest battle in the war was around Dong Xoai province. we were out on patrol, said to be lookin out for an MIA, named Rob Muldoon. we were walkin for a few hourse when little tim found a pack of cigs on the ground, he bout lost both his arms when doc grant stepped in and pointed out a wire leadin from the pack of cigs to a grenade. little while later we heard rustlin in the bushes until we heard an american voice whisper FLASH! i whispered back BANG! it was muldoon. he was bloodied up and covered in mud, looked like he'd been through hell. he looked glad to see us. but he also looked worried. without wasting time he said there was about 15 charlies on his tail and motioned us to go stealthy, back the way we came. tim said we can make it if we full on run now. Muldoon replied. No we can't. Tim asked why? muldoon said we were being hunted. he pointed ahead. he told us multiple charlies in the bushes ahead, its alright. muldoon removed his hat and motioned to us. we heard movement in the bushes ahead. GO! RUN NOW! he said as he removed his hat. everybody started runnin but i was last, i ran a little down the path but still had em in my site to cover him in case he got himself in trouble. he put his hat on a log and changed his position. damn it i lost site of him. i heard his last words "Clever girl" as he was stabbed to death by those damn vietcong. not a day goes by i dont think about muldoon. god damn that war was hell."

Something to that effect. By now everyone in the guild was uncontrollably laughing. The Marine still didn't get it so the troll continued for another hour. I think he flat out said that Velociraptors were in the Vietnam War.There was more, but that was the highlights.

That is the one and ONLY way to deal with trolls. Any other action and you are on the losing end.

Unless of course you are having fun playing with them.

Thats the best post I read in a while. BTW we don't troll uselessly. Its basically jokes and humor that every guildie takes part in. Not all trolls like Junk talking. I normally dont talk in a raid, but when in guild its a different matter altogether. I guess it depends on people too. Fortunately my guild is quite nice and they like to joke a lot.

Thats the best post I read in a while. BTW we don't troll uselessly. Its basically jokes and humor that every guildie takes part in. Not all trolls like Junk talking. I normally dont talk in a raid, but when in guild its a different matter altogether. I guess it depends on people too. Fortunately my guild is quite nice and they like to joke a lot.

Haha I do like the jokes and humor trolls. I mean face it, we all need a laugh here and there at times. I even like the trolling like what jmsben12 had posted about the Vietnam Vet and the Marine hahaha. I do hate like the trolls that you'll find within the comment section of almost every YouTube video.

I think you'll find that most people disagree with that point. I played WOW religiously since day 1 and while one or two people may have laughed at the 13 year old comments daily, the rest of the server never had any issues booting them all from my groups. Blacklist addon = no previous trolls in my groups, I had them all flagged and it worked quite well.

The trolls ended up on the losing side every time.

I think you'll find that most people disagree with that point. I played WOW religiously since day 1 and while one or two people may have laughed at the 13 year old comments daily, the rest of the server never had any issues booting them all from my groups. Blacklist addon = no previous trolls in my groups, I had them all flagged and it worked quite well.

By 'groups' do you mean raids, 5-man dungeons, or both? Blacklist addon seems like a cool idea, but lately with cross-server 5-mans and raids you never really run into the same person twice.

There's a lot of potential in a 5-man random dungeons if two trolls team up together. Let's say you and your partner make the tank angry. And the progress in the dungeon is halted by the amount of rage-induced comments he makes about your partner (Let's say your partner is a rogue in this example) You can vote to kick the TANK and in the description write "lets kick bad rogue". Everyone else, who agrees with the tank will vote to kick when they read "lets kick bad rogue", but they will end up kicking the tank because they didn't read the little text underneath listing who was actually being kicked. Be on the look out for this.

Ditto, though I never used the blacklist addon. Having an account full of max-level toons (barring one or two for levelling fun) always made sure groups managed without the troll, too. Chuck out trolls, bring in the max-level, finish dungeon. Even better was chucking the troll out as soon as they had aggro (until they broke that by not allowing drops in combat).

Once again, Not all trolls bad. You are misunderstanding me. It is meant as a fun part of the game. A comment here and there and its all good laugh. Try the speaking spell addon if you want to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Once again, Not all trolls bad. You are misunderstanding me. It is meant as a fun part of the game. A comment here and there and its all good laugh. Try the speaking spell addon if you want to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Yes, all trolls bad. But then we're talking about the commonly-accepted definition with its negative connotations - trolls deliberately being inflammatory, offensive or off-topic to get a negative emotional response - rather than the strict definition which would include being a wise-ass for laughs. Being off-topic for inoffensive fun that makes people laugh is rarely considered trolling these days, though I have no idea whether there's a single word that defines that activity! :D

I don't really do it. I mean I might do it sometimes if I am really bored but that might come maybe once a month or something. But it really annoys me sometimes when people do it. Specially on facebook when it comes to picture comments.

I am currently trolling a lovely website. It's just fun to do :D I am not doing it in a mean way although they are currently wondering how I can not be banned, kicked and have far to many permissions in phpBB. :D

Honestly I don't see how trolling is beneficial to anyone.

It is just a general annoyance and nobody gains anything out of it.

I would understand if the troll got something out of it , but until that point, the answer is NO.

I believe everyone has been a troll once in their lifetime. It's pretty much not possible to stay out of that. It'll happen sooner or later.

I can't say I agree. I really can't think of any times where I've been trolling or would be considered a troll. That's just not what I like doing, hmm.