Steam coming to Linux

CHiLL

Yay for Steam and Linux! Now if they'd just start letting us play our purchased games offline.....

I have no issues playing games offline with Steam.

This might be a little bit off-topic, but has anyone tried to cheat the prices on Steam? Like me for example have to purchase the games in Euro. While people in the US may purchase the games with USD. So a game that costs 40 euro for me, also costs 40 USD for the US people. This means that the game is more expensive for me, which sucks to be honest. If I start Steam via a US proxy, the game prices are shown in USD. Is it safe to purchase the games this way?

I have no issues playing games offline with Steam.

Eh? An error from my side then.

Because I couldn't play when I lost my internet connection, I thought they don't let you play offline.

This might be a little bit off-topic, but has anyone tried to cheat the prices on Steam? Like me for example have to purchase the games in Euro. While people in the US may purchase the games with USD. So a game that costs 40 euro for me, also costs 40 USD for the US people. This means that the game is more expensive for me, which sucks to be honest. If I start Steam via a US proxy, the game prices are shown in USD. Is it safe to purchase the games this way?

I don't find them pricey because the majority of the games I buy, I buy during sales, and the few that are brand new, I don't mind paying for because they're pretty much the same price in stores and more often than not they have titles I can't find in my local stores.

For one, I'm sure that's illegal, and probably not worth it if you were to get caught. What you are really asking to do is if using a proxy can help you steal. Which BTW using a proxy isn't guaranteed to work in the first place

If you don't like the prices, you can look for the games elsewhere locally.

For one, I'm sure that's illegal, and probably not worth it if you were to get caught. What you are really asking to do is if using a proxy can help you steal. Which BTW using a proxy isn't guaranteed to work in the first place

If you don't like the prices, you can look for the games elsewhere locally.

But is it really illegal? I mean, I am paying for the game +tax. So what if I would take my laptop over to the US and purchase it there? I'd still be doing pretty much the same thing, but from Sweden using a remote connection. Also there's nothing in the TOS prohibiting this. Atleast I see nothing in the Steam subscriber agreement about regional settings. However, I do not think that I would want to use my credit card through a proxy.

Edited by KevinN

But is it really illegal? I mean, I am paying for the game +tax. So what if I would take my laptop over to the US and purchase it there? I'd still be doing pretty much the same thing, but from Sweden using a remote connection.

I never said it made sense, most things dealing with copyrights lack sense. But remember, when you pay for a game, you are not paying for the disc, you are paying for the license to use it, each with its own stipulations. Such as reselling, copying, etc..

You expect to use a proxy? I'm pretty sure they can figure out where you are from when they try to charge your credit card with your billing info.

Edited by redinit

I never said it made sense, most things dealing with copyrights lack sense. But remember, when you pay for a game, you are not paying for the disc, you are paying for the license to use it, each with its own stipulations. Such as reselling, copying, etc..

You expect to use a proxy? I'm pretty sure they can figure out where you are from when they try to charge your credit card with your billing info.

I was thinking more of a VPN, like HideMyAss VPN. But yeah, I'll probably just call a friend in the US instead!

I was thinking more of a VPN, like HideMyAss VPN. But yeah, I'll probably just call a friend in the US instead!

Otherwise when they find out you used a foreign credit card, with foreign address, they would know you used a proxy/vpn.

In my opinion, they're are complete idiots for doing that. What games can you even play on Linux anyways?

Besides this http://icculus.org/lgfaq/gamelist.php or http://www.lgdb.org/. Any game can potentially run on Linux

I think you are missing the point, with Steam being available on Linux, this opens up development for future Linux games.

Unless you can justify your statement of Steam being idiots, when in reality they know way more about the gaming market than any of us on this board. I mean, you would need experience with video game publishing or distribution, or actually use Linux as a desktop to have a valid argument.

Edited by redinit

• Administrators

Besides this http://icculus.org/lgfaq/gamelist.php or http://www.lgdb.org/. Any game can potentially run on Linux

I think you are missing the point, with Steam being available on Linux, this opens up development for future Linux games.

Unless you can justify your statement of Steam being idiots, when in reality they know way more about the gaming market than any of us on this board. I mean, you would need experience with video game publishing or distribution, or actually use Linux as a desktop to have a valid argument.

Agreed Gabe Newell isn't a Billionaire for nothing.

Agreed Gabe Newell isn't a Billionaire for nothing.

Far too long have I heard statements of Linux not being "desktop ready". When I, as do a lot of other people, use Linux exclusively on the desktop, not to mention Linux is the OS of choice for a majority of the servers on the internet (blowing away Windows).

The main problem people have is not with Linux, but with software developers, such as Autodesk, Adobe, Steam, etc.. not writing their software with Linux in mind. IMO, Linux/BSD has developed a much more stable kernel than Microsoft.

In reality most consumers don't know what an OS or kernel is, they just want to be able to run the popular software available.

I am sure this must be good news for a lot of Linux users. For me, it's only mildly good news because I only play World of Warcraft.

Actually I don't see why Blizzard cannot release a Linux version of WoW. Even if I am playing with a Linux client, I still have to pay Blizzard to play on the official servers. From what I have read, there was actually a Linux version of WoW. At the beginning.

Now that's something to cheer about. Honestly I can sense the major increase on Counter strike servers by the sheer thought that valve is releasing steam on Linux.

Yeah you are totally right, theres some website with all the server lists ,and I saw like 60 new servers just in 24 hours.