ljepilo

Win 7 VS Win XP

I would vote for Windows 7 as well. I was a big fan of Windows XP but I have moved on to Windows 7 since last 1-2 years. XP is still great OS expecially if your have a low resource PC, stick with Win 7 if you are looking for a stable modern OS.

i love windows XP when it comes to performance and long time lag-free OS, congestion in the system of a computer would lead us to format our Pc or Laptops regularly, XP is much better.

i love windows XP when it comes to performance and long time lag-free OS, congestion in the system of a computer would lead us to format our Pc or Laptops regularly, XP is much better.

Where do you get your statistics?

Programs run slower and slower on XP and will continue to as time goes on. I can't remember the EOF date for it but as soon as that happens you will be left open to security flaws.

It really depends on how much RAM you have and how good your processor is. If you need a lighter OS i would go with XP since it's less resource heavy. If you can handle it. Definitely go with Windows 7. :) It's newer, still gets updates and runs good. XP isn't really supported anymore and can be seen as a security risk.

XP is lighter on the system, however with a similar power-requirements system on Windows 7, it's just as good, and even better in terms of graphical performance, driver support, security and user interaction.

In all honesty, I love both Windows XP and Windows 7. I upgraded from XP to 7 a few years ago.

Overall, I like Windows 7 better because it looks better. In my opinion, it also is put together better (set-up wise).

XP is getting really out dated as well. If you're going to switched OSes, I'd definitely suggest going to Windows 7.

Windows 7 is by far a better OS than XP ever was. XP was the most successfull yes, and the reason many prefer it is nothing more than consistancy IMO. It has been around so long that people are just used to it, however that is also its downfall.

Whichever way you look at it, windows XP is an 11 year old operating system and it shows in many areas.

For those who were talking about 64 bit. You are correct in saying the addressing system can only truly address 4gb on a 32 bit machine, and even with WOW technology on a 32 bit server it is not truly using the full amount of memory in the way it is designed to be used. Windows XP x64 however was never a real OS. It was never released into general sale and was never stated as being stable, therefore wasnt supported by the hardware manufacturers. Windows 7 on the otherhand is.

I love Windows XP with a passion. I've already tried Windows 7 on my laptop once, in fact, I hated it that much that I re-installed Windows XP the day after I installed Windows 7. I get along so much better with XP, get less errors, and the fact is, I just know where everything is, which is excellent. I'm pleased with XP and will never move to Windows 7 again.

Don't be so extreme haha.

I also used Windows XP for at least 8 years. I jumped onto the chance when Win7 was in Beta. I liked it.

Sure, WinXP is great, but it is a decade old OS. It will not be able to forever support the latest needs. Such as when I want to get 4GB RAM, yes I did the upgrade while I was still on WinXP Professional. WinXP couldn't even detect all of the 4GB RAM. It is one of the major reasons I moved over to Win7.

I liked WinXP very much too. I upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP, and I never used another OS until Win7. Now both my desktop PC and laptop are using Win7 Home 64-bit.

Don't be so extreme haha.

I also used Windows XP for at least 8 years. I jumped onto the chance when Win7 was in Beta. I liked it.

Sure, WinXP is great, but it is a decade old OS. It will not be able to forever support the latest needs. Such as when I want to get 4GB RAM, yes I did the upgrade while I was still on WinXP Professional. WinXP couldn't even detect all of the 4GB RAM. It is one of the major reasons I moved over to Win7.

I liked WinXP very much too. I upgraded from Win98SE to WinXP, and I never used another OS until Win7. Now both my desktop PC and laptop are using Win7 Home 64-bit.

That affects all 32-bit operating systems, including Windows 7 (excluding PAE), not just XP.

Thanks for the suggestion , I will definitely try it ! :)

If you are making a dual boot, install the Windows first, then the Linux. If you do it the other way round, Windows won't be able to or refuse to detect the Linux installation.

If you are making a dual boot, install the Windows first, then the Linux. If you do it the other way round, Windows won't be able to or refuse to detect the Linux installation.

If you do it the other way around, you will only do it once and probably throw something within the hour.... I learnt the hard way LOL

Another alternative is to use a virtual machine, but depends on resources you have available to you.

I prefer Windows 7 to XP. I did like XP, certainly a lot more than Vista. However, I have not had any problems with WIndows 7 so far. It is true that Windows 7 is more suited to a system that has a decent spec, criteria that is not so important with XP.

That affects all 32-bit operating systems, including Windows 7 (excluding PAE), not just XP.

Well I didn't see a point to use 64-bit winxp, because of less driver support compare to the 32-bit winxp.

Win7 on the other hand, there is no point going for the 32-bit version. I see upgrade to Win7 from WinXP as a chance to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

If you do it the other way around, you will only do it once and probably throw something within the hour.... I learnt the hard way LOL

Another alternative is to use a virtual machine, but depends on resources you have available to you.

There's also one other way to do it.

Install Windows on the hard drive and install Linux on a pendrive. Puppy Linux is only a bit less than 120Mb in size and will live very happily in a pendrive, including saving sessions and other stuff.

Will it be slow running from the pendrive? Not at all. Being so small in size, it loads up into ram and once it's in the ram, it runs just as fast as it would if it had been installed in the hard drive. One advantage of using Puppy Linux from the pendrive is that it's your OS on the go.

Take it anywhere you want, find a computer, plug in, boot up from the pendrive and you are good. All your settings and bookmarks and passwords are in your pendrive. And they won't get saved to the computer that you borrowed temporarily to piggy-back on.

This is a close match but I would give it to windows7 because of faster boot time and also the display is impressive. XP could also be great because it has less known bugs, it is also fast and I love XP for gaming. Wow! Now I am thinking of reverting my PC into XP. lol! What was my choice again? :D

This is a close match but I would give it to windows7 because of faster boot time and also the display is impressive. XP could also be great because it has less known bugs, it is also fast and I love XP for gaming. Wow! Now I am thinking of reverting my PC into XP. lol! What was my choice again? :D

If you want to play pre-2010 games, then XP is your best bet. :P

I have used both XP and 7 and i have to say i like 7 a lot more. Some people who have computers that a bit slower and cant handle windows 7 should probably move to XP but if you computer can handle 7 you should use it since it is just easier to use as a whole and much faster.

Windows 7 bring in the functionality and the sleek performance of windows XP and the eye-candy, glamor and a bright UI like vista into one. More over Windows 7 is mostly preconfigured with the most usual settings that you may have to do in a Windows XP machine. Win 7 is by far the best OS for beginner's who want to try out the Windows systems.

I'd definitely give Windows 7 a try if I were you. I was using XP for a long time and was comfortable with it. A friend of mine hooked me up with Windows 7 and I've been loving it since. I still use Win XP in my laptop. Sometimes you just have a hard time to let go!

Not really, Windows XP I think it now time to move on. I would advise you to choose Windows 7 because it has more usability features and it is now the best OS ever in my opinion. 

I have a Pentium 4 so I am forced to be stuck with Windows XP which I have Service Pack 3 installed. I hope I can get a job and work on getting a new computer like a Intel I7 3990-K something like that. I had a few issues with errors here and there with XP which nothing like a few updates to fix them. I like the easy HUD you can get around without too much trouble. AVG does not have an issue using the resident shield to block viruses from my computer. So I would still have XP to use, but I'll also have Windows 7 too.

Windows XP ( XP for experience) was the best windows ever for me, I used XP for 12 years until 2014, when I had to upgrade to Windows 7, Since Wndows XP is now unsupported  for years, although it's still working.  I still have XP in one of my old laptops and it's still good but everytime I use it, I have to set the date.  I'm now using Windows 10 but for me Windows XP was still the best OS that I've used.