Thoughts on Hackintosh?

Hey,

What do people think about Hackintoshes?

For anyone who doesn't know, a Hackintosh is any non-Apple computer running Mac OS. Apple themselves are totally against this but that's understandable because they lose sales if people are buying machines elsewhere.

Yet it can be a good idea as you can build a machine for almost half price sometimes. I've seen a desktop machine with the same spec as the minimum Mac Pro for just over £800 when the Mac Pro was almost (if not) £2000.

Personally I think they're great for people on a budget. The design of the machines can't compare and you don't get the support or anything but you do get what you pay for and if you can't afford the design and support from Apple then I'd say a Hackintosh is a great option for you!

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Jack

I think the original idea of the hackintosh is dying, as the same can be done using virtualisation tools such as VMware. Computers are powerful enough to handle an underlying operating system and a virtual one these days.

Certainly RAM and HDD space aren't as much a limiting factor anymore, but most low to mid range processors aren't optimized for virtualization, and I've seen graphics cards that don't work so well with the idea either.

On topic, it's a good idea for custom building, not so much trying to turn an existing machine into one due to limited hardware support. Personally I don't see why anyone really wants to use OSX in the first place.

I personally dislike the concepts. I believe that Apple works very hard to create the bond between hardware and software. Macs definitely look the best, and function best with OS X, in my opinion.

But then again, I am sort of a pure-Apple guy. I pay for the design, quality, and user experience.

I would love to hackintosh my netbook which is why I bought it but I bought the wrong kind and it isn't easily hackintoshed, so I just settled for putting xubuntu on it. The next best thing. However, I might build a computer that is hackintosh friendly and have everything working. :) That'd be really nice. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have Hackintosh'd before, I will admit it. While the process of getting it to work is rough, the end result is amazing. It can turn your weak netbook into something faster and smoother. I will say, however, updates and upgrades will become quite challenging. You must know what updates you install, and must have compatible hardware. I have noticed that getting it to work is my favorite process, not getting to the end. (Weird, right?) Anyway, if you plan on Hackintosh'ing, you must have good patience, basic computer knowledge, and good researching skills. I also believe that you should buy Apple's OS disk, and not illegally downloading it online. Although this process is against Apple, I think paying for it is the least we can do.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that if you're able to build yourself a Hackintosh, there's really no reason to stick to it over vanilla Unix OSs. You'd be sacrificing system stability for little more than a gimmick.

Hmm that might be true. I have a regular macbook from 2009 and it's starting to show it's age and run slower then it used to. Mind you, i take care of my macbook and clean it regularly but it's still showing it's age. I think my next laptop will be an HP and it will dualboot Windows 7 and a version of Linux. :)

Hmm that might be true. I have a regular macbook from 2009 and it's starting to show it's age and run slower then it used to. Mind you, i take care of my macbook and clean it regularly but it's still showing it's age. I think my next laptop will be an HP and it will dualboot Windows 7 and a version of Linux. :)

I own a iMac from early 2007 and it still runs surprisingly well. I can still use it for most stuff, and it can run the adobe cs5 pack with absolutely no problems. Also, you might prefer a desktop if you're in need for power, due to customization possibilities and upgrading.

• 7 years later...