ridwan sameer

How did you learn HTML/CSS

I used to know HTML and CSS, but now it's all gone, so I can see myself in ridwan sameer's shoes. If I look at a tutorial, I would know it, however, I want to learn to know without the help of tutorials. So, I am glad you all gave so many links to different sites where I can start over again.

I learned the basics of HTML in school when I got my IT diploma 100 years ago.  :pinch: Well not quite 100 but it sure seems like it! CSS I have picked up here and there but I haven't used it extensively... I'm still trying to figure it out to be honest. I think I'd have to dedicate a lot more time to it to really get the hang of it. It seems finicky to me.

I learned by googleing how to make them because I've always wanted to know how to make them. I caught on to making them really fast, so now it just comes naturally.

I learned HTML and CSS all by practice really. I did however read a book called 'How to build websites' I think it was called, which is a great and colorful book which goes through all the common and even uncommon features of both HTML and CSS and introduces you to new ways of coding. It also provides you with detail of the old style of writing code just to give you an idea.
It's all about practice really. The more you practice, the better you'll get. 

I started with codecademy just so I could get the basics.  I thought their course was really useful and easy to do so I was happy I could get through it.  Then I started to just experiment with creating my own websites and trying to recreate website designs I've seen.  I really just wanted to make cool websites/landing pages and just kept going at it.

I learned it through a website called CSS-tricks.net. Really cool websites have many other stuff that teaches you how to create websites, design and code! Another website that I used which is not free is called teamtreehouse.com it's amazing! It's worth every cent I paid for the subscription. Check it out it's worth!

While technically speaking I did take a class in college in 2000, as well as purchased several books on web design in the late 1990's, I mainly learned about web design through existing web sites - one of the most important being A List Apart, which is an incredible resource. At the same time I was trying to learn it, the W3C was also coming into formation, so I was following along with that a lot in the news as well to stay on top of everything.

These days, there is no need at all to buy books on web design. By the time they are published, most of the information in them is out of date anyhow. There are all sorts of sites offering tutorials along with test projects that you can download and go through on your own. There are also free HTML editors such as Brackets (www.brackets.io) that will give you a head start, even if you don't have something such as Dreamweaver or are comfortable coding in Notepad.

I taught myself by borrowing books from the library and tweaking templates. I, also, took a few Java courses in college which helps because a lot of the coding is similar; or, at least you can see patterns in it.

Granted, I have to get back into the game and teach myself HTML 5. I took a break from webdesign and I guess the net didn't break with me ;)

I went to an IT school so I learned it at school. But actually our teacher mostly showed us videos or told us to do something. He didn't really teach us anything. He mostly sat at his desk and put video after video onto the beamer and after we finished some videos he told us to code some simple page. I don't think it was that bad because I actually learned a lot because of it, but I think I could've learned that by myself at home too. But he's actually really good at Java, so maybe he was just bored of the basics of HTML and CSS.

I got into web design a long time ago (mid 90s) working at a laptop company called NEC.

I was originally hired there to be a technician on the line,  to repair laptops that had issues.

but they needed help in their engineering area,  they were needing a solution where they could quickly update work instructions on the fly.

So what they did was created an intranet and then put laptops up at each workstation.    We then created a 'web page' for each work station that were the instructions for that area,  included a video on how to perform that area and everything.

I think it was really ahead of it's time for the technology that we had.

Well,  that got me very interested in the web.    Been working with the web in some way ever since,   I build some sites on the sites.   But for my real job I'm a web producer and manage mostly internal intranets.

Codeacademy. It is a gold mine for those who haven't seen it. They give detailed, but simple lessons on every aspect of HTML/CSS. The course takes 7 hours to complete, but its extremely effective and you can start making a website and customizing with CSS by the end. I also learned Javascript and PHP from that. I am debating whether or not to take the Ruby course, but I don't really know what Ruby is used for. 

I learned the basics for coding and programming from tutorials for free and when I got serious and had some extra money set aside I bought Lynda.com classes. They offer project example files and show your progression and have an entire section dedicated to coding and programming.

I started learning in the myspace days, using w3schools and other web blogs with articles and tutorials. Then when I was in collage I took 1 class as an elective to learn a little more and because so much time had passed and the standards change regularly so I wanted to update what I knew.

Edited by CatDesign

Learning HTML and CSS are really very easy. There is soooo many tutorials and tons of documentation for the languages. Pretty much any problem you encounter will have been covered on several sites and forums. You almost always find a solution to your problem.

Best way is to start off with an introduction to html video on the internet (tons of them). Learn the basics. Learn how the syntax is structured and become familiar with some of the common tags, elements, usage, etc.

Keep in mind that you will be learning CSS along side HTML. They go hand in hand.

Once you have the basics down you are prepared to start a project. Projects are by far the best way to really learn programming and master languages. They force you to learn because you won't be able to accomplish you tasks unless you figure it out and add to your knowledge base. By the time you finish your first big project you will know WAY more than you did when you started.

Once the project is finished and or you simply got bored of it, move onto a new project that is even more challenging.

This is the best way to learn in my opinion.

1. Build real things
The best wаy to learn HTML and CSS (and web development in general) іѕ to build things. When I started оut (nearly а decade ago), I told mу fіrѕt client I knew how to build websites - even thоugh I didn’t. He gave me a month, so I dove head deep іntо code. I relied on tutorials аnd оther online resources, whісh werе not nеarlу as extensive as thеу аre today. While in-browser exercises - like those found оn Codecademy - аrе great for teaching thе concepts and syntax, tо deeply understand thеsе things уоu muѕt apply thеm in the wild. This іѕ similar to learning to fly: flight simulators can teach уоu a lot, but уоu hаvе tо fly planes to becоme а pilot.

2. Read lots оf code
As important аs it іs tо write code, it’s equally aѕ important to read code. Emulation is аn important part оf learning anything. Find sоmeonе who knows mоrе than yоu do and learn frоm them.

Edited by paichuu

I have used w3schools.i think they are one of the best website that is available out there. I believe it is quite useful and totally great. It is also very easy to understand.

W3Schools isn't really all that great for tutorials per se. Rather they are better for documentation. When I want to know what a function does or what function to use to complete a certain task, then W3Schools is great. Their documentation is very easy to understand.

PHP Manual on the other hand has always been very hard to use for me. Everyone points to it when it comes to PHP documentation but I've never really been able to understand them. They don't explain things in a simple and concise manor.

Anyone experience this? 

Me, i got learned it from school, since i'm a I.T student. during my 1st year i started to learn Html, it is not hard to learn but because it it's just a html it us so hard to design and then we started a new lesson, new language called CSS, and i feel excited because CSS can make websites look awesome and nice, maybe i'm addicted on designing websites because everytime i see nice websites it always catching my eyes and interest and i proved on my self that a well nice design on a websites can make it more interesting.

Posted (edited)

I'm currently learning HTML and CSS by reading books on the Safari Online and watching videos on Pluralsight.  I think it's easy to learn the concepts in building a webpage, the hard part is mastering them and applying the lessons learned.  I'm curious to learn how does one master building websites, do you just find a website and copy how it was designed then build up from there?

Edited by Codebuilder
Correcting Paragraph alignment

I learn HTML form my college days my instructor was the very best using notepad. Learning codes to creat new and unique website is the best way to show your potential to do your own website. And using some software to creat website like dreamweaver. Or searching online is other best way to learn creating new sites. Or programming. Thanks 👍

When I was practicing creating websites I always visit w3schools. it is a site that offers free programming tutorials. You can find a lot of examples there that you can try to run. I also watched videos from youtube. You can find a lot of videos on youtube with clear demonstration on how to create a website. To try launching my site I used 000webhost. It is a free hosting site which is good for those who are  practicing designing and creating a websites.