ridwan sameer

How did you learn HTML/CSS

Eh, while I like YouTube and listening to someone walk me through it, it also sucks because I can't copy and paste :)

That in itself can be more of a good point than a bad one. It forces you to start writing the code, getting it wrong, and learning why.

That in itself can be more of a good point than a bad one. It forces you to start writing the code, getting it wrong, and learning why.

I agree with this, When learning a language I think copying and pasting is probably a bad practice.. I mean even if it's a snippet that you already know.. typing it out will make you remember it properly :)

Well I mostly just use a drag and drop WYSIWYG editor, but there are times when I have to manually enter some commands. I actually don't know much but I can certainly work some with HTML. I know nothing about CSS unfortunately.

I am the type who is unintimidated by such things and while not a genius, I am persistent.

I have a friend who happens to be a web designer and programmer and he taught me all the basics. After that, I started watching youtube tutorials and reading various guides and "how-to's". I guess it took me a year or so to get the proper hang of it but it was definitely worth it.

My dad had a book which went over the basics of HTML. This was printed back in the '90s. Before CSS. Before the <div> tag. Before PHP became a thing. It was an intense and fun journey. I remember the first site I ever created being a silly video game website.

It's been so long since I learned HTML and CSS, but if I remember right I learned html and CSS from both tizag, and w3schools. I then practiced a lot coding multiple templates until I got the hang of it, and when I needed help I used google to find my answers or post on a forum.

Edited by bauss

I had a forum some years ago, decided to play around with the CSS sheets and change values in every other line and running it to see what happened, this was purely out of boredom. I found it to be quite interesting so I decided to go a bit more into it, ended up going to a bookstore and searching for a book on the basics on CSS. Eventually I started getting nothing from the book so I decided to search for more about CSS online and reading a few tutorials.

HTML was different, some months after my little adventure with CSS I found out that my older brother was taking a class on HTML in college, he taught me the basics and helped me out to understand it. Also got a book on the basics of HTML and just went along searching online everything that would stop me from achieving what I wanted.

• Administrators

Ok so as I'm still learning CSS and it's quite the curve for me I decided I also needed help with jQuery and AJAX. So I ended up finding this site called Code School and wow. It's made things so much simpler and they explain everything.

I started at w3schools to learn the very basics (I know they often don't have correct information now though) and then started googling things that I didn't know. Such as making nice div based layouts. It went quite easily as I knew many programming languages and XML at the time. I learned the very basics of both in about 5 days. Then I got better at them every single year, with practice!

I started coding on a text editor and was using the old table tags and frames. Then, when CSS started becoming popular, I bought a few books, from O'Reilly. The Missing Manual series is very good. Beyond that, online tutorials. Videos from Lynda.com.

I got myself a book - Sams Teach YourSefl HTML in 24 hours. And then when I had some idea of what to do with this HTML, I started out by making some sites. It was way back in 1994 that I had made one site in plain HTML. There was no CSS and nothing those days - so just plain Simple HTML. Then as Internet was not known much here those days, I did not proceed with it. Later I got to learn everything from w3schools and since the past so many years, I have been working with HTML and CSS.

Since I stated using the internet I developed a strong urge to lean how the web pages are designed and hosted. I then joined a web design course which I couldn't finish due to some personal factors. I just couldn't give up so easily, so I downloaded the Web Design Bible...A book that is currently helping me to understand HTML and CSS..from the scratch.

So tell us, How did you learn the holy grail of Web development.. HTML And CSS?

Me? I just watched a few videos online here and there. I mean I know CSS, but I have never used it to actually make some.. And I Fear I cant :(

Personally I went to the library and spend weeks reading books on Html, then I moved on to youtube. The key is to be persistent, don't be discouraged practice makes perfect. 

Good luck!

I took a class in high school that taught me HTML. It was combined with a web design class that also taught us how to use Photoshop. I didn't learn anything about CSS back then, though, so it's just a matter of picking that part up along the way.

I learned HTML from an old book in 2004.  I was in a local bookstore just browsing the books on sale passing the time before my next appointment meeting then I saw this HTML Tutorial book worth around $2.00.  I want to learn how to create a simple website then for my husband's small trading business and so I bought the book. 

As for CSS - still in the learning process. :whistle:

I learned CSS and HTML while learning to build Squidoo lenses. There were some tutorial lenses on Squidoo which taught me the basics of CSS and HTML, such as position images within text and so on. I would like to check out more lessons online in the future. I saved some pages in my StumbleUpon account for future reference.

I learned the basic off the following site:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

Then was like you and I started to turn into like videos to learn the harder stuff. I also found some really good tutorials on forums.

I've never heard of the w3schools. I've bookmarked this site, and will be checking it out sothat I can get more practice with my HTML and CSS coding. Thanks!  :twitch: 

I learned the basics of HTML by reading source codes. Later, I read from online resources such as w3schools and that was it. Although, I didn't learn CSS(which I learned for like a week) until a year or thereabout after on w3schools. However, I think it's all about "practice makes perfect", the more you practice the two(CSS and HTML), the more you get better with them.

Edited by CyberGenius