Hardison

What was the First Programming Language You Learned?

The first programming language I learned was BASIC on the TI99/4A that I got for Christmas the year I was 12-ish (so around 1982). I was suddenly invincible because I had a computer and could code it.

The very first language I ever learned was DarkBasic. I spent a lot of time figuring out how to use it, before just hitting a wall, and becoming lost. I threw in the towel, and moved on to actionscript, about 6 months later. Since then, everything has become much clearer now.

The first programming language which I learned was COBOL. It was quite a lengthy one no doubt, but that did definitely help me in learning the basics of programming quite well. And this is one reason, that I have always found writing code much easier to me than many of my classmates. The next language which I learned was C and did a lot of codes on UNIX/LINUX too.

Today, I work on PHP and still use many of the same concepts and logic that I learned earlier. :)

I started with DOS commands. Put them together into a batch file. Not exactly programming but it gave me a start. Then I studied dBase. That's what I used to write database programs. Until I discovered Foxbase, which was about 10 times faster than dBase in processing the data. I followed Foxbase up to Foxpro. Did quite a few jobs using that language. Taught a friend how to use it, too. I did a hotel management program. Showed him how to do it. He wrote another one, better than mine.

I have left off programming for a number of years. Now I am getting back into the swing of things. Have to start all over again. So many things have changed. My daughter is a better programmer than me. She writes in c.

As for me it was HTML / PHP / JS while I wanted to create a mod for IPB 1.X ... never succeed, but programming since then has became a passion.

Now, I pretty sure I can say I have a lot of experience with these same languages + a few others, and I'm currently learning C#, C++, Python =P

The first language that I ever learnt was C++, and we were made to learn it young. Those these days we mostly use C and Embedded C, C++ is most certainly opened up the path for learning plenty of other languages like PHP, Java, C due to their similarities in the syntax.

The first language I got into was C because my dad who was a computer science major, told me that C was the way to go to begin learning how to code everything. Later on, I learned C++ and java.

My first was actually FoxPro.  I've forgotten most of it now, however, since I learned it when I was only about eight or so, playing around on my dad's computer.  When i was ten or so, I learned HTML and CSS and loved to do web design (and still do!)  Since I got into high school, I've learned Java as my main programming language as far as it comes to actually programming (I don't believe that HTML and CSS count).  Now I'm trying to learn PHP, C++, and SQL!

My first was actually FoxPro.  I've forgotten most of it now, however, since I learned it when I was only about eight or so, playing around on my dad's computer.  When i was ten or so, I learned HTML and CSS and loved to do web design (and still do!)  Since I got into high school, I've learned Java as my main programming language as far as it comes to actually programming (I don't believe that HTML and CSS count).  Now I'm trying to learn PHP, C++, and SQL!

FoxPro is SQL correct?

First language I've learned was Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML lol) , Beacuse I've love to create websites and blogs. so for that HTML must be known. It is very static language. After became expert in it. I learned Forton,C++ and PHP. I've created a many bots using C++ and Forton. Its very interesting languange. But its not easy. For now  i am learning vb.net.

-Thanks-

My first language was Python, I started learning it on my own before I started college so I could have a bit of a head start on my classes by knowing some sort of programming.

Of course then it turned out my first few classes used Java so I had to relearn everything :pinch:

Oh Hardison-Thank you... I saw the thread title before your answer and thought "Fortran". Mine was circa 1976 and I was a math major. So the point was thinking logically? I ended up a lawyer, so guess that course did a little something for each of us. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

I just finished a class for programming in R. Aside from that I dont actually know anything about the program or what that programming is considered as the teacher never said anything about it.

First language I learnt was Haskell. Hated it at the time, but persisted, and looking back I think it useful. I think I would have enjoyed learning Java first though. Especially with something like eclipse. Although when I did learn it, it still took me a while to pick it up.

My first programming language was Pascal, the old, procedural version from Borland. We then moved to OOP in Delphi, which was also pretty nice. I'm glad we started with Pascal because of its similarities to natural-language, despite the fact that it's mostly obsolete nowadays.

Some argue that it really doesn't matter which language(s) you learn first, as long as you get a good grasp of the concepts and techniques. What do you guys think?

Punch cards!

No I'm kidding. It was Python. I only learnt a little bit of it though. I'm talking very basic levels of understanding here. That was almost a full year ago now, and while I think I've retained a little knowledge of it, and how it works, but honestly I'm pretty sure the most of it is gone. I'll be starting again in September though when I go back to school. Although I will probably start catching up on it myself in August when I have a bit more time.

My first programming language that I stuck with was Python. It was actually from a school intro course so I was taught the basics. Since then I've moved on to C++ and Java because Python doesn't seem to be supported as widely as other languages.

I first got into programming because I wanted to create my own forum software. So I guess the first language I ever learned was HTML. But honestly I also learned CSS and PHP along side HTML. So was learning three languages at one time.

Once I had the basics of those down I started learning Javascript.

I'm now pretty much fluent in those four languages so I have recently began learning C#. I'm really liking it.