Is there a point to run your own server at home?

Ram8349

You mean people turn computers off? I cant remember the last time mine was switched off other than to switch OS lmao

I always turn my PC off. It's never always on, and I rarely use sleep.

• Administrators

You mean people turn computers off? I cant remember the last time mine was switched off other than to switch OS lmao

I always turn my PC off. It's never always on, and I rarely use sleep.

Ah yeah mine is never turned off. I always end up needing it to remote to or something. Plus I wouldn't want to boot it up every day when I come in to get on it.

Ah yeah mine is never turned off. I always end up needing it to remote to or something. Plus I wouldn't want to boot it up every day when I come in to get on it.

Thats one of my main reasons to keepin mine on also.

Running a home based server would be a bad idea in my opinion. :-/

If you put up a rather active site with thousands of page-views per day then most likely you will need a leased bandwidth line. I am actually not familiar with the bandwidth needs of a server but my current host has a 1Gbps line which offers blazing fast operations :)

• Administrators

Running a home based server would be a bad idea in my opinion. :-/

If you put up a rather active site with thousands of page-views per day then most likely you will need a leased bandwidth line. I am actually not familiar with the bandwidth needs of a server but my current host has a 1Gbps line which offers blazing fast operations :)

You pay per GB usage? I just pay monthly for unlimited usage.

You pay per GB usage? I just pay monthly for unlimited usage.

lol no :D

My host offers me unlimited bandwidth plus storage space :)

I meant that 1Gbps is the network speed that is provided by my host :)

1 Gbps network speed offers a good transfer rate and site accessing speed :)

I know a guy with 200Mb/s upstream and downstream, he runs a few dedicated servers from his house. I suppose it's a pretty good idea like that, you don't have to pay a datacenter their profit margins. However, it does cut in to your electricity costs at home and the noise from a proper rackmount server can be disturbing especially when you're trying to get to sleep.

• Administrators

I know a guy with 200Mb/s upstream and downstream, he runs a few dedicated servers from his house. I suppose it's a pretty good idea like that, you don't have to pay a datacenter their profit margins. However, it does cut in to your electricity costs at home and the noise from a proper rackmount server can be disturbing especially when you're trying to get to sleep.

Whoa! What's the cost on that per month?

I thought all hosts or pretty much most of them have unlimited bandwidth usage per month.

ehh, it may sound biased since I'm a web host, but when choosing a web host that imposes limits on their environments, you'll notice an immediate performance increase. There's no such things as unlimited - disks & storage have physical limits and bandwidth cost money. Unlimited is a marketing term large, bargain hosts use since they know most wont come close. In most cases you're limited to inodes.

Why not colo it? I mean, for what he's paying for the 200 up/down pipe, it could be racked, powered, cooled and running on UPS's at a datacenter.

Edited by VopaHost - Brent

• Administrators

ehh, it may sound biased since I'm a web host, but when choosing a web host that imposes limits on their environments, you'll notice an immediate performance increase. There's no such things as unlimited - disks & storage have physical limits and bandwidth cost money. Unlimited is a marketing term large, bargain hosts use since they know most wont come close. In most cases you're limited to inodes.

I thought we were talking about home internet was unlimited.

I thought we were talking about home internet was unlimited.

Oops, maybe I jumped the gun there lol however, most ISP's put a cap on your connection for residential service. Once you hit that cap, they throttle the connection speed. Business accounts on the other hand sometimes have lateral up/down speeds which is the limiting factor. If you get a connection that's like 30x10 (10 up), you will most likely never see that 30 down since you'll ultimately be limited by the upload speed.

I saw above where someone said "my host provides unlimited disk and bandwidth".

Oops, maybe I jumped the gun there lol however, most ISP's put a cap on your connection for residential service. Once you hit that cap, they throttle the connection speed. Business accounts on the other hand sometimes have lateral up/down speeds which is the limiting factor. If you get a connection that's like 30x10 (10 up), you will most likely never see that 30 down since you'll ultimately be limited by the upload speed.

I saw above where someone said "my host provides unlimited disk and bandwidth".

Don't forget contention, a consumer broadband will have many users contending for the same bandwidth. They will use traffic shapers etc. That's why leased lines are so expensive, 99% uptime and SLA and 1:1 contention.

Yea I knew that. But even then, I still go with the unlimited ones for some reason because I never understand exactly how much I need :P

Yea I knew that. But even then, I still go with the unlimited ones for some reason because I never understand exactly how much I need :P

I normally stay away from those unlimited plans for two reasons. One, those kind of plans tend to attract users who intend to abuse the resources. And when they do, other people on the same server are affected negatively, too. The other reason is that I do not have much faith in people who offer unlimited plans because it gives me the idea that they are the kind of people who think that other people are so stupid as to fall for such a trick.

• Administrators

I normally stay away from those unlimited plans for two reasons. One, those kind of plans tend to attract users who intend to abuse the resources. And when they do, other people on the same server are affected negatively, too. The other reason is that I do not have much faith in people who offer unlimited plans because it gives me the idea that they are the kind of people who think that other people are so stupid as to fall for such a trick.

Or they are going to majorly oversell the server.

I think the services providing dedicated servers do give you a kind of relaxation on some topics such as security and maintenance.

I mean to say, at a time, how many things you'll be handling? It would be tiresome to maintain the site/blog along with the server.

That is why, using the services will be the better option than to run the server at home!

• 2 years later...

I have run a webserver from home for years, as long as you have a good upload you will be fine. I am not running one now, but when I was I was using Comcast Business Class internet with 5 static ips. Whats nice about running your server from home is you have total control over the server. And you can accesses any time of the day or night. And these days you can get some pretty fast upload speed, I do believe Comcasts Business Internet offers 20mbps upload and that is going to be fast enough for 99% of the websites on the Internet.

Greg

• 4 years later...