Im developing a money app

Marc

So I have decided (as most of us do at some point in our lives) that I am terrible when it come to money. Therefore I decided that I would look around for some decent money management software to use so that I can manage my own finances more effectivly and eventually change my car that seems to run 1mpg (ok 20 mpg but thats still bad lol).

The above seems like a simple task, but I wanted a few things. I dont want to have to learn how to use some complicated program. If Im gonna learn something I'd rather spend that time studying my microsoft certs. I also dont want a peice of software that tells me how much money I have. If I wanted to know that I would just log onto my online banking. I want to know how much money I ACTUALLY have, as in when everything has come out of my bank account before my next payday. I also dont want something that logs into my bank and downloads transactions, as I dont want anything to access my accounts besides myself.

Can I get all of these things? Apparently not. So therefore I am going to write a windows application just for this purpose.

So if Im writing this and Im gonna make it useful for others as well. What annoys you about other money management software? What could I make better than all the others?

• Administrators

Why are you against letting a system connect and download transactions if it's trusted? I use Mint.com for both my desktop and iPhone, it's a very powerful app and works great.

Security. The less interfaces with something the less chance of it going wrong. And the way i see it if thats my thought then many others may feel the same

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Can I get all of these things? Apparently not. So therefore I am going to write a windows application just for this purpose.

Quicken does all of that and doesn't have to connect to anything. It'll also do things like create budgets from your previous months' stats and so on. Very cool.

Quicken does all of that and doesn't have to connect to anything. It'll also do things like create budgets from your previous months' stats and so on. Very cool.

Ah ya see you lost me at "It'll also do". My thought is creating an application that just tracks the money you have. No budgets, no double entry, no connections, no credit card repayment working out automatically. None of that whatsoever. Something extremely simple.

One of my reasons for wanting to do this is that I feel some of these things offer too much. For most people I feel they just dont want all that stuff, they want something that replaces that bit of paper they write all their bills down on and saves them using a calculator, and thats it. No thought over how to use the software, no looking for how to do formulas in excel.