Google Penguin - disvowing links

Hey guys,

I read somewhere that Google is planning to introduce a "Disvow backlink" that would allow webmasters to disvow a particular backlink. This will probably take care of negative SEO but it will also drastically increase the workload of webmasters. Imagine now we not only have to promote our sites but also keep a tab of spam backlinks that our competitors blast us with. And if you have a trigger happy competitor, you'll be doing nothing but disvowing links all day. Thank you Google for increasing my workload 10,000 times.

Bryce

• Administrators

Hmm...well I guess you don't have to use it, so your workload could stay the same :)

Well I mean if you have a backlink that was posted by someone else that you don't approve of it will be nice to remove it.

• Administrators
Is "negative SEO" real?

If it really makes such big difference, then everyone would be building negative SEO for their competitors instead of building SEO for themselvs. Wouldn't it?

Sure it's real. Think if your site is linked by a bunch of sites with malware or too many links are built at once and google sandboxes you. But why waste time/money trashing competitors instead of improving yours?

I've also gotta believe that having good SEO practices weighs more than the negatives ones I prevent too much abuse.

Yes, I do think negative SEO is real.

There are simply people who are so narrow-minded and mean that they just cannot sleep well if they think someone is doing better than them. So they will use every underhand tactic they know of to bring down their competitors. Of course, they are despicable people and they lead miserable lives.

However that doesn't mean that negative SEO has no impact.

Sure it's real. Think if your site is linked by a bunch of sites with malware or too many links are built at once and google sandboxes you. But why waste time/money trashing competitors instead of improving yours?

I've also gotta believe that having good SEO practices weighs more than the negatives ones I prevent too much abuse.

Fiverr have tons of $5 deals for building hundreds of links. Most of those links are worthless link farming. $5 could build your competitor hundreds of bad links. Especially if you are #2 or #3. Your target is limited. Isn't it?

Just saying. If Google truly allow such negative SEO easily impact competitor's SEO, then they really are worse than I thought.

• Administrators

Fiverr have tons of $5 deals for building hundreds of links. Most of those links are worthless link farming. $5 could build your competitor hundreds of bad links. Especially if you are #2 or #3. Your target is limited. Isn't it?

Just saying. If Google truly allow such negative SEO easily impact competitor's SEO, then they really are worse than I thought.

Yeah I hear ya, I just can't see that this is truly the way the algorithms will work or they could be abused as you say.

I sort of like this idea,. Just think of how many links all of us may have out there steming from places with poor quality that random people may have posted around. I know because when I look at my site stats, sometimes people spread my link to places that I'd NEVER put them myself.

Sure negative SEO is real. Just search for negative SEO case study in Google and read the horror stories for yourself. Here is the story where Matt Cutts discusses the possibility of a disvowing tool

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2182895/Matt-Cutts-Talks-Google-Penguin-Negative-SEO-Disavowing-Links-Bounce-Rate-More