olliesub

Laptops vs. Desktops

My latest investment into tech has been my iPad Mini and I've actually started using it more then my laptop. For the bigger things such as projects I still use my main computer mainly but my iPad is now used for all those little things such as notes, surfing, revising, quick googleing. I love it! 

I don't even have me laptop anymore. I have a custom made desktop. Ite very powerful as well. I have my tablet and iphone if I want to be mobile. I am starting to hate laptops now.

I own both and use them regularly. When am going out or to the office, my laptop will kick in because of its mobility and I can use it in Cafe or restaurant. But when it comes to gaming, there is nothing that handles better than my desktop. It can actually run most games that I like. So I think it depends on what you are doing, any can do. 

Mobility is nice, but one of my biggest concerns is comfort and ease of use. I cannot stand doing design work on a small laptop monitor, which is why I really prefer a nice large monitor on a desktop system. It's so much easier on the eyes, and I have plenty of space to arrange all my menus and panels within a a program such as Phtotoshop or Dreamweaver.

Also, I need a full keyboard and a dedicated mouse. I cannot get work done on a trackpad, particularly when working with graphics.

Desktops are much more heavier but they are powerful, you can build your own desktop PC easily and buy the parts online.

Laptops are much lighter and very portable, but often they are not as powerful as a desktop PC.

I would have to choose my laptop because I haven't used my desktop for about 5 years now:D.  I've been relying on my Lenovo Laptop since 2013 and have upgraded it's memory since then.

I've been using my laptop nowadays strictly for writing purposes only since I found out that a good tablet and a wide screen smartphone is more convenient and faster to work with.

My smartphone and tablet  are faster than my laptop:D

I use them both actually but i prefer desktop. Desktop is a must for me because of its plug and play abilities. Hardware flexibility and maintenance wise, desktop is my favorite device. Hands on modification is probably the best thing i love with desktop, a user that can choose what hardware he/she wants with the system can make your system powerful and at the same time efficient. Although Laptop's are basically maintenance free which is very convenient, it might be the same reason why desktops last longer that laptop's. The fact that you can do maintenance on your own desktops, makes it more reliable and more efficient. A proper maintenance and hardware upgrades will make a significant difference in terms of  durability.

I prefer a desktop because it is easier to upgrade, you can easily connect more monitors, it has a real keyboard (illuminated in my case for at night), and you typically can get more bang for the buck as far as power goes.

I've never really been impressed with laptops. They have their uses, like when traveling, but if I am working, I want a desktop, and if I am away from the desktop computer, I just use my smartphone. Also, you are more likely to have overheating problems with laptops, and I tend to burn them out faster. So I stick with a desktop and my smartphone.

It's a question of which weapon suits which battlefield.

Nothing beats the desktop in terms of power and processing speed and the big screen monitors which are better for the eyes,but in terms of portability and freedom the laptop reigns supreme.

At the end of the day it boils down to what the user needs the PC for and the environment he will work in.  

I prefer laptops. In my work since I always go to different places, I always have my laptop with me. I just appreciate how much beneficial the mobility of laptop is especially in our industry and even to students. Desktops on the other hand are of great advantage also in terms of computing performance. However there are already laptops which are very high in price but are comparable in terms of performance with desktop computers.

Both are equally good. It all depends on the situation. If you are a frequent traveler, then a laptop would suit you more because its portable and you can connect to Internet via USB dongles easily. A desktop requires stable Internet collectivity and hence it is more suited who work from home. 

If I were to choose between the two, well it depends on where I am and what I am about to do. Laptop is morr useful to me. I go to different sites and use my laptop to do my tasks. Whenever I am at home I prefer to use desktop PC. Desktop computers have computing speed and is very reliable in terms of multitasking.

Laptops vs Desktops: I don't owned one of that two device but I prefer to use the desktop one because it is what I used to operate in our office it was easy to use compare to laptops for me because one rime when my desktop in our office need to check to the maintanance I temporarily use the laptop one, I can't work past as I could when I use the desktop.

I've used a laptop and netbook for the past few years. Mostly to just browse the Internet and work on SEO or content production projects. I don't really play video games or run any demanding applications that would work better on a desktop, so there isn't much of a difference for me.

I'm of the opinion that the purpose for which either laptops or desktop computers are needed is what determines the right one for the job or task. 

So, what I'm trying to point out here is that both the computer devices are very good for the job and purpose they are required for. 

Actually I have both a Laptop and a Desktop computer and there are both pros and cons but I prefer to use my Desktop more. I only thing I like about Laptops is that they are portable. Desktops though can be said to be better in terms of performance and they are easy to upgrade. Laptop parts are also more expensive than Desktop parts that is why I really take good care of my Laptop. I also find Desktop to be more comfortable and convenient to use since it has wider screens and better keyboard keys. Whenever I'm at home I seldom use my Laptop and only use it for work. I think we all have our preference and choice but I love both my Laptop and Desktop and will continue to upgrade them as much as I can.

Desktop would be my choice because I've a brother who builds PC and i also have some knowledge about it. Laptops will always be more prone to danger because of its mobility and keep in mind that this device are our investment. We needed to keep it safe and secure. My point is that if you know your need into computers invest more on desktop. It usually last longer. 

Right now I’ve got my laptop set up like a desktop anyway - it sits on my desk, I have a separate Bluetooth mouse that I use, so in many respects using a laptop gives me the best of both worlds. If I need to move it around with me I’ve got the flexibility of doing so, but I’ve also got the ability to just leave it put on a desk.

I prefer Computer all around it's a more stable and powerful component compared to laptop it's more reliable when it comes to speed and also it costs less than laptop but we all know, why someone would choose laptop, that's because laptops are portable, you can bring it anywhere whenever you need it. 

Deciding between a desktop or a laptop computer requires a lot of criteria to consider. But in the end, it always depends on what the user's needs are. But I think desktop computer is the overall option because it can handle complex tasks and can be modifiable depending on the user's preference and needs. We can also be sure of the desktop's high performance. On the other hand, laptops suit an on-the-go world. It can work also as a computer but the portable portable version because you can unplugged it easily from the external power and work on it wherever you are. For me, it really depends on your needs. If you want an all in one device, you go for desktop but if you are the "on-the-go" type of person, go with laptop.

On 6/14/2012 at 8:06 AM, olliesub said:

What do you prefer? Desktops or laptops?

Desktops

-Not mobile

-Big/heavy

-Can be upgraded

-Much more powerful

-Cost less in terms of power

Laptops

-Mobile

-Can be small and light

-Cannot be upgraded (with the exception of RAM and hard drive)

-Not as powerful as a desktop

-Cost more in terms of power

I personally prefer laptops because of their mobility.

The laptop stores some power and you can work for some time where there is no electricity. I prefer the laptop. It is also faster.