When there is a new member spamming

Ram8349

People don't really like to be controlled although there always needs to be someone in control. We like to join forums to gather information or to express our opinions. This should be allowed, within reason. There must be boundaries and once these are overstepped, some type of action should be taken. Begin with a mild request, then a warning. Have a step by step plan. If the person is more of a problem than what its worth, get rid of them.

My new forum is about two months on and I have already banned 6 people for spamming and spamming low quality posts to try and make post counts. Nothing pisses me off more then some one trying to ruin what I worked so hard for, I know it might not seem like a lot to most people but I live on a fixed income and I have over $600 into my forum. And that would be like $6k to some one with a normal income. So if some one does not put the effort to make quality posts then they are not worthy of my forum.

Greg

• 4 years later...

I think, it is better to ban them on the  first erroneous act. To avoid hassle and disturbance. This people has hidden agenda why they have two accounts accompanied with site or product. Their main intention is to use the site for promotion or spamming. As a forum owner, you have rules/policy of your own which any members/guest should follow. It should be strictly implement for discipline purposes.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:46 PM, Jelineex said:

I think, it is better to ban them on the  first erroneous act. To avoid hassle and disturbance. This people has hidden agenda why they have two accounts accompanied with site or product. Their main intention is to use the site for promotion or spamming. As a forum owner, you have rules/policy of your own which any members/guest should follow. It should be strictly implement for discipline purposes.

Yeah, I concur. Spammers should be punished. I can be 100% certain that they're bots.

I'd give them a fair warning first. Personally, I'm more popular on YouTube, rather than on my own website, oddly enough. For that reason I value each member, and even if I grow my audience, I'd still maintain the classical policy of me not banning everyone without a warning.

If his first few posts are itself trying to promote other websites, it is better to block/ban him from posting further. Marketing on other forums is strictly prohibited and should be carefully monitored by the group administrators. This has become an issue nowadays with people working as a marketing freelancer for popular sites.

Maybe a warning first then lock their thread? I'm not exactly the banning type, I usually try to at least talk to the person first and find out what's up. But if the warning didn't do anything to stop them then banning should be the next step. Unless of course your forum has a set rule about marketing and all. 

A warning would suffice for first time offenders then advise them to brush up again with the rules of the forum. If it would happen again then maybe suspend their account for days or  even a week. If there is a third time then by all means, have at 'em! Kick 'em out.

On 6/20/2012 at 9:55 AM, Ram8349 said:

If someone just signed up on your forum or blog, and the very first one or the first a few posts have outbound links clearly trying to promote another web site, would you drop the ban hammer right away or give a second chance because this member is new?

I have also had this situation where someone signed up with two accounts, not only he pretend to be two person, but he also made posts where every single one of those posts are trying to persuade people to visit a merchant web site. This merchant isn't exactly small, in fact it is the leading one in the niche. I don't know why this person is doing it...out of completely satisfaction from his own shopping experience, or he is one of the SEO companies hired by them... This member does sort of "participating" in the thread, but the problem is in every single one of his post he had to mention that merchant...every time.

What would you do?

Warn that new member first. Tell them you have discovered they have two accounts. If they do not change then drop the ban hammer

On 12/14/2018 at 1:17 PM, kx8 said:

Maybe a warning first then lock their thread? I'm not exactly the banning type, I usually try to at least talk to the person first and find out what's up. But if the warning didn't do anything to stop them then banning should be the next step. Unless of course your forum has a set rule about marketing and all. 

It's hard to define when it's spam or a bot. I'd say if you're a starting blogger then banning new arrivals is a bad move.

On 12/20/2018 at 6:53 PM, Bravosi said:

It's hard to define when it's spam or a bot. I'd say if you're a starting blogger then banning new arrivals is a bad move.

I do have a different understanding of what a spam is. If people are just talking on a certain thread and they're having a conversation I don't view that as spamming, but other fellow mods see it as that. There's also a strict rule on that forum about staying on topic. If at one point you steer slightly off topic then the thread will instantly be locked. Of course I'm not the one locking it since I don't mind if people talk on threads. I just think it makes the forum more active and fun.