How often and how much do you post on your own forum?

Ram8349

I make around 20 posts every day on my own forum. I try my best to answer in every available threads, so people will not feel there is nobody talking to them. When I post, I rarely make anything less than at least two full lines in my replies. Because I feel anything less than two full lines usually not only hold no content, but it also isn't much of a conversation for people to continue the thread. I started a lot of threads as well. When I start a thread, it usually would be a small paragraph or two. So there will be a lot to talk to. Unless my thread is about some other niche related news, in which case I would write a small summary and post the link to the original article in order to avoid copyright issue.

How many posts do you make on your own forum?

How much content or how long is your typical posts?

• Administrators

I don't have a set number. I would say anything 20+ is good, just depends on the activity for that day.

I don't set a strict number because I don't reply to all threads. If it's something I don't know anything about, have no interest, ect... I don't post just to post.

Not as many as I used to these days, however when I started a fair amount but not a set amount by any means. Some days would be 10 some days would be 100 just depending on what I was doing at the time. You seem to have the right idea with what your posting :)

I don't have a set number either. Sometimes I contribute just 1-2 new posts, sometimes I may post even 25. I usually chime in when people have questions for moderators or if there is a disagreement. I like to remain in the background if things are going smooth so I'm pretty laidback in that way.

It really, really depends. Sometimes, if it's a really busy day and people are posting a lot, I may post 50+. Other days, I may only make one or two posts. I don't have a specific goal any more. How much I actually put in each one varies a fair bit then.

One thing I would like to point out here. While it seems to be the right thing to post 30-50 word replies, it does look a bit stilted if this is done all the time. Just think of talking to someone who always answers in complete sentences and never answers in less than five sentences. Don't you feel that, after some time, it's kind of like a drag to have a conversation with such a person.

A forum is actually a conversation-based medium of communications. It's not a speech-making-based thing. So to have a good conversation going, we respond according to the flow of the conversation. At times, just a LOL is sufficient. At other times, a half-page response is more appropriate. It's the change of pace that keeps things going along in an interesting way.

One thing I would like to point out here. While it seems to be the right thing to post 30-50 word replies, it does look a bit stilted if this is done all the time. Just think of talking to someone who always answers in complete sentences and never answers in less than five sentences. Don't you feel that, after some time, it's kind of like a drag to have a conversation with such a person.

A forum is actually a conversation-based medium of communications. It's not a speech-making-based thing. So to have a good conversation going, we respond according to the flow of the conversation. At times, just a LOL is sufficient. At other times, a half-page response is more appropriate. It's the change of pace that keeps things going along in an interesting way.

If someone keeps posting "LOL" only, i'd ban him lol. Imagine if 50 people in a row making "LOL" as their only reply in the same thread. Would you want to read "LOL" x 50 times?

To have complete content is important to attract search engine traffic. If everyone just post random emotion words, then the forum would look quite useless. It is especially true in a niche based forum, where technical based content are often needed in replies.

If someone keeps posting "LOL" only, i'd ban him lol. Imagine if 50 people in a row making "LOL" as their only reply in the same thread. Would you want to read "LOL" x 50 times?

To have complete content is important to attract search engine traffic. If everyone just post random emotion words, then the forum would look quite useless. It is especially true in a niche based forum, where technical based content are often needed in replies.

Ahahaha I could imagine such a thread if it was really funny ;)

10-20 or more is my golden number :)

But I make sure that other people also take part in the conversation going inside the forums as it would show that forum as an activity! :)

Does anyone use multiple accounts at their forums to spark a conversation? :D

To fake an account as though there are more people there than there really are? I haven't done that since I first started populating any given forum. It's good at the beginning, but beyond that, no thanks.

• Administrators

If you have enough time to do this then you have enough time to work on good content to draw in the real users.

If you have enough time to do this then you have enough time to work on good content to draw in the real users.

Ya know, I've never thought of it that way. You're right, though. I'd rather use the same time creating better content, linkbuilding, marketing, etc, than to sit there and have a conversation with myself.

I end up posting more than I'd really like to.

What would be ideal for you then? Would you rather the community talk without you and you just manage the board? Or do you just feel obligated to post that much and you don't enjoy it?

I think many people had misunderstood the number of posts in the first post. :)

I don't really have a set number either for how many I post per day. I just scan through all threads every day, and reply as much as I can without looking like I just try to fill a reply. I do my best to reply with the best content I can offer. It usually ends up with around the amount I mentioned lol.

If there is a thread with a question that is beyond me, I will not reply to it at all.

I am trying my hardest to reply because my forum is still not off the ground just yet.

I make about 15 post or sometimes less in a day. I don't post much but rather I talk with the members in the chatbox because I have added that feature. I think it is more convenient to talk to them in the chatbox so that I could answer their questions right away or update them and warn some who are spamming. :)

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators
I'm a very active member on my board.  It helps to get to know the members and make them feel welcome.  My forum is a general forum with no questions to be answered....really.  But I do try to interact with members.

Link me?