Ram8349

How often and how much do you post on your own forum?

There does seem to be a limit to the amount you should post on your own board. Especially from behind a title like Administrator or Moderator. It can feel scary to be that 1 person trying to post a topic knowing full well that your going to have the staff be the only ones to comment. 

On the other hand I've known forums where the Administrator hides in the shadows and most members do have a higher post count. I even remember one site that the moderators weren't allowed to post. They were simply there to moderator and we never found out who they really were. 

You have to find that middle ground where your not the 100% but your not the 1%.

It also depends on how many posters there are around. Is it a every member has 1 post and then never shows up again; or is it a board of 5-6 active posters that seem to control it?

If we start to put numbers of these things then we might get to the stage where you would feel bad to not post as much; or post too little. 

I post on my forums daily and every day. I try to make at least 10 posts each day probably end up making more. My forum isn't too active right now but the few members who do enjoy my forum enough come on daily and post or try to at least a few times a week. :)

Well sometimes if you post too much, it looks like the admin is the only one in the forum posting around and trying to keep it alive if you know what I mean?
But yeah if you have a good user-base then you can help them with topics and whatnot and make sure to show your active because, If they think that the admin is not active they wont want to be active.

I started my forums yesterday, so in the spirit of kick starting things I reply to any post I can as soon as possible. I imagine in the future I will slow down and be more of and admin than a member.

The admin/owner must be active on smaller forums especially, but I think admin activity is crucial to keeping the forum activity going. The more the admin posts the more activity there will be.

When I first started forums, I used to make threads along with many other members on a daily basis. I was lucky back then to have a large group of folks in agreement to start a community with me as the leader. So aside from making threads, of course there's also this habit of mine to post in every thread even right after someone replies to a thread. I would camp just to get the next post to the point that some of the threads got filled with "filler" posts thanks to this bad habit of mine. One of the culprit might have been post counts but I was very competitive at the time to get the top poster spot. It was my first forum so there was this excitement residing within me at the time.

The forum didn't end because of that though, but rather because of several issues which would probably derail this thread. Nevertheless, after two or three more forums I eventually learned but another issue rose which is pride. I wouldn't post unless it's extremely important or relevant to my interests which led to my forum having an admin that is no different from a lurker. Some might assume that I'm a manager type of administrator that works behind the scenes and that's not too far from the truth but pride still takes a large percentage of the reason behind it. But in reality, there are admins like that who just works on the coding or designing aspects of the site with little to no knowledge at all about how forums are supposed to work. I remember having an admin like that by my side and everytime he makes a poll, I have to guide him step-by-step just so he wouldn't mess up. That just goes to show that in communities, every staff member has his own role to fullfil and it has to be shared instead of having only one person handling everything. No one is a master of everything, but the closest you can get is perhaps a jack of all trades. Still, it cannot beat someone who is a master of his profession. But the bottom line is that you have to avoid thinking like this in a forum since that way you're restricting your ideas and also your full potential as a contributor to your very own community.

After making my supposedly final forum about two years later since my previous one, I finally did it right (or I would like to think so otherwise). Before coming to this point, I spent my time enjoying being a member and even moderator in various forums. This made me stand in different positions and along the way it taught me important things between the different rankings in a forum and their supposed role. There's no competition or pride within me but just someone who knows his role and only posts if he has something worthy to contribute to the topic without forcing himself to post thinking it's a requirement. There's no exact count for my daily posts as it depends on the topics, but the length is usually of significance.

Edited by inspirASIAN

I take part in active discussions just like everyone else, I tend to try to remain low key but I do chime in when I have something to say. On a newer forum however it's important to have new threads to read and so I may log in and do nothing but create 10-20 new threads to talk about.

On my last forum, I post like around 10+ relevant and interesting threads each day, so members can have new things to talk about every day.

As for my posts, I try to make as many as I can, each with at least 2 sentences just so the forum doesn't look too vague.

If you have enough time to do this then you have enough time to work on good content to draw in the real users.

10-20 or more is my golden number :)

But I make sure that other people also take part in the conversation going inside the forums as it would show that forum as an activity! :)

Does anyone use multiple accounts at their forums to spark a conversation? :D

But sometimes you need to do this (i.e. create a dual or multiple accounts) to make a forum, especially new forums, look active or to get a certain topic going.  It's a good way to encourage real users  to join in the discussion too.   I actually have two fictional accounts in my forum - I use them to ask questions that other members might be interested to ask too (in topics with no replies) and after some time I noticed that other real users started to join in that particular discussion. 

And in reply to this topic "How often and how much do you post on your own forum?"

Just like most forum admins here - it depends (and varies) >> from 1 to 10 posts a day.  Average of 1 to 2 new topics and the rest to answer inquiries or make comments to existing posts. :twitch:

I think it depends on the activity on the forum. Some forums get so much traffic that the owners can't reply to every single thread posted in a day. But then again, there are forums which the owners start simply to make money. You can't expect them to be that active because probably they don't know much about what's discussed on the forum. However for forum owners who start a forum because they like something and want to share their knowledge with the world and other like-minded people then you're likely to come across them on the boards very often. They post as much as they can [they don't have a set number of posts to make].

I think in the beginning, when the site is new and maybe doesn't need as much upkeep, a lot of owners are going to find themselves posting a lot. You've got to be seen to be seen after all, if you understand me. However once their site starts becoming more popular and needs more upkeep, a lot of your time is going to be spent behind the scenes, keeping the site running, or even working on business deals for the site in terms of ads and such, depending on what your site actually caters towards.

I think that just because we own a forum we don't need to make an X number of posts because the function of the admin is way more than just posting. As long as the community is alive and well I think a few posts are enough, as long as we are enjoying ourselves there or whatever the goal we have set for the forum.

My forum is small so I try and make 3~5 new threads a day and I reply to anything that I could give input. I think it is important to keep balance though, you don't want to look like the only person posting on your forum. I have seen forums where the admin was 95% of the posts on the forum and no one was posting on the forum but the admin.

Greg

I post on my forum daily and to be honest quite a few times a day. Keeping fresh content and quality content on a forum is a must to bring in new or potential new members.

As a matter of fact, I rarely do so. Because whenever I publish something on my blog, usually the audience asks me questions about the post on Facebook, rather than on the blog (website) itself.

When I was a mod for a forum, I barely posted anything. I did answer questions that nobody was bother to answer, but other than that I just kept to myself. I do take the time to read everything on the forum and mediate when I need to. 

On 12/14/2018 at 1:15 PM, kx8 said:

When I was a mod for a forum, I barely posted anything. I did answer questions that nobody was bother to answer, but other than that I just kept to myself. I do take the time to read everything on the forum and mediate when I need to. 

That's quite informative, as expected. Personally I barely even touched the commenting section on my forum.

On 12/20/2018 at 12:53 PM, Bravosi said:

That's quite informative, as expected. Personally I barely even touched the commenting section on my forum.

There's hardly a new for it, if everything runs and goes smoothly. Though, however, your audience might appreciate the fact that you're active. Depends on how much audience there is overall, I suppose.