Are you a thrifty gamer?

dexterlablab1

Most of us (at least by now) know the reality that being a gamer in this day and age isn't exactly wallet friendly.

The prices have generally shot up at an average of $5 more per gaming generation. So now it's a the point we have to pick the games we buy in a timely manner to catch them on the cheap. AKA being a thrifty gamer.

I for one would consider myself a thrifty gamer for sure. Does anyone else consider themselves the same?

Yes and no. I am definitely thrifty in the sense that I rarely buy games and when I do, I catch them on sale or wait for the price to fall. On the other side, though, there are certain games I pay full price for when they come out. WoW is one of them. I have bought every expansion as soon as they are out because they're a huge social thing for me that I've done for years. I also paid full price for Guild Wars 2, which is going to continue my social thing over that direction. I didn't want to wait on those.

I think I am now, but used to not be, took me quite a bit of time to get used to this. When younger I would get the games on the day they would come out, same with the consoles, without thinking they might go down on price, on consoles it wasn't a maybe, it just "had" to happen. Also I was a beta tester for a couple of video game developing companies, so at times I would get some games before they came out, which lead me to simply feel the need to buy the games on the day they came out (I was a silly young boy).

Now a days, I simply wait, only a few titles I actually pre-order or go buy the first week. Same as Jessi most of these titles that I buy for full price and on release date are MMORPGs, same WoW and GW2, I've been playing WoW since release so I've just gotten used to getting the expansions on the day they come out. Other PC games I just wait until Amazon, Steam or other game-deal sites have a good sale on them and that's when I buy. As for console games, it has to be a really interesting game and I will usually wait sometime before buying.

So all in all I guess that now I am a thrifty gamer, specially thanks to game-deal sites, which just show that you should just wait until they give a big discount to then buy, I've payed for games with a 25% discount to then see them 2 weeks after get a 75% discount because some new DLC is coming out or something like that, I've learned it's just about playing the waiting game.

I am thrifty only when it comes to games which I don't get too excited about. Thrifty as in not paying a single cent for them. Thrifty as in playing only the demo versions.

However when it comes to the one and only game that I am still playing which is World of Warcraft, thriftiness is not on my list of priorities. I buy things on World of Warcraft as soon as I can afford it.