How many things you outsource and how much you pay for them?

Ram8349

I have paid for web design, the result isn't so good. The jobs weren't all done and the dude disappeared after being paid $30x2. He was doing job extremely slow so he could say "It's really time consuming" and demanded another payment. I need to find a more reliable web designer.

I will soon outsource article writing as well, not all of it, but only in the area I can't write my own.

As a site/forum admin, how many tasks do you outsource? How much did you pay for them?

I mostly outsource content creation and backlinking. I agree that it is difficult to find reliable people who can do the job to our satisfaction. I am sorry to hear that you got scammed but there are few things that you can do. You can file for Paypal chargeback and also leave a negative review so that the guy doesn't scam other people. You should also try to form a team of good service providers so you consistently get high quality work done for your projects. This would take some time but it will prove beneficial in the long run.

I mostly outsource content creation and backlinking. I agree that it is difficult to find reliable people who can do the job to our satisfaction. I am sorry to hear that you got scammed but there are few things that you can do. You can file for Paypal chargeback and also leave a negative review so that the guy doesn't scam other people. You should also try to form a team of good service providers so you consistently get high quality work done for your projects. This would take some time but it will prove beneficial in the long run.

I didn't exactly get scammed. Just bad luck ran into a dude who was lazy, slow, as well as suddenly decide he could quit before finishing all the tasks he promised. He did get some stuff done, but not all.

At first he disappeared for 1 week, all the PM and emails were unanswered. One week later he replied said he would be back. And he did. But only just another week, he disappeared again. It took him a month to reply said he is sorry and he would be back. But he never came back, and that was over 2 months ago.

He isn't exactly a scammer. He just somehow believe he has the right to quit or delay indefinitely after he get paid...

I guess you are right, I should be able to get back at least the second payment through Paypal if I fill a complain.

Edited by Ram8349

I always try my best to do everything I can on my own. I don't know why I don't like to outsource things, I've had some bad experiences in my past, and have been slowed down or forced to step back from trying to complete a project.

If I end up trying to outsource anything I try for it to be the least possible amount of stuff, and usually is in the area of article writing. For this I tend to be extremely careful with the person I choose, I have a bit of OCD, so that doesn't help my cause either.

I dont generally pay for outsourcing of work. If I cant find something which is completed then I persevere on doing the work between myself and Jos (the other tech admin on my site). However if you are getting work done then ensure its from someone who is recommended by someone else.

• 2 years later...

Outsource only the work you can't do well on your own. But even then you have to be careful who you hire. Most outsourcing sites have a feedback system. Before hiring someone it's always best to take a look at their work history. If most of their clients were satisfied then maybe they're a safer bet [though their fees might be higher] than someone who has fewer ratings but doesn't ask for much. In most cases quality is directly related to what the person is willing to work for. Personally I've never had to outsource anything yet. I may change my tune when I do :)

I usually only outsource my graphic design and I get a really good deal. I do not want to drop any names because I am not sure if we are allot to post names or not. But if you want the link you can PM me. My graphic designer usually charges about $30 for a logo or header graphic. I have $100 in graphics for my website because I am running wordpress and xenforo and she made graphics for both. Plus she made me Facebook graphics for my website.

Greg

• 7 months later...

I'm typically one of those DIYers - if I can't do something, I want to learn how before I pay someone else to do it.

Sometimes that works out well, other times I spend more time and energy on it than it would have been to just outsource it.  I suppose the point is if this is time-sensitive and needs to be done now and the right way, outsource it.  If it's just a hobby and something you're interested in, roll up those sleeves and tinker around with it until you get it.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/13/2012 at 2:51 PM, Ram8349 said:

I didn't exactly get scammed. Just bad luck ran into a dude who was lazy, slow, as well as suddenly decide he could quit before finishing all the tasks he promised. He did get some stuff done, but not all.

At first he disappeared for 1 week, all the PM and emails were unanswered. One week later he replied said he would be back. And he did. But only just another week, he disappeared again. It took him a month to reply said he is sorry and he would be back. But he never came back, and that was over 2 months ago.

He isn't exactly a scammer. He just somehow believe he has the right to quit or delay indefinitely after he get paid...

I guess you are right, I should be able to get back at least the second payment through Paypal if I fill a complain.

Ugh. This is so frustrating. A total waste of your money and time. Finding reliable people on the net to d a job is really hard since there are scammers and there are those people who overpromise and underdeliver. You should really choose those who have a good track record.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't done any outsource work since I don't own a forum. But, if ever I will have one I would be on details for websites. I don't have enough knowledge on programming. I will need help from the experts. I will make sure his a diligent and committed person for work. In terms of content I would try to do it myself. However, I am still open to suggestion.

The sad truth is that there are so many poor writers and freelancer who dilute the quality of work done recently, it's the reason why before you outsource any work, make sure to carry out background check on the individual works history and know whether he or she possess the skills to deliver a high quality job.