Nathan

What is CakePHP

Why is this different from regular PHP? I assume it's functions that are created already then you call them so it's a lot less code to create web applications?

What the best resource to learn from?

Would you use this over just plain PHP on anything?

It's a set of classes written in PHP that you would use in PHP applications. It saves you time so you don't have to write code, its already there, such as templating, authentication, DB abstraction, etc..

Say you want to build a car, you could:

A.) Buy every part individually, and build it (without CakePHP)

OR

B.) You could buy a motor, frame, body, and build it with very few loose parts (with CakePHP)

Why is this different from regular PHP? I assume it's functions that are created already then you call them so it's a lot less code to create web applications?

In a nutshell, yes

As Marc and redinit has pointed out CakePHP is a web "framework" however the Major point around CakePHP is that it is an MVC framework.

MVC is (Model, View, Controller) software design pattern.

Its worth learning, as a super primer start here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26685/what-is-mvc-and-what-are-the-advantages-of-it

I haven't used CakePHP specifically before, but it really makes things easier. Instead of me spending hours of the working on a database class, then this, then that, I can just get straight to work with the important classes. Plus, it gives me working code (PHP often just doesn't like me).

Myself, I use FuelPHP because of the docs and the enormous amount of features.

For smaller projects, you may want to look into Laravel. Its Blade template engine blew my mind.

Personally I'm familiar with regular PHP, but never heard of CakePHP. After some research I realized that it is a framework for PHP. 

Long story short, CakePHP is an open-source web, rapid development framework that makes building web applications simpler.

Edited by Bravosi

PHP is a server-side HTML embedded scripting language this is particularly utilized in web improvement. PHP is a programming language and CakePHP is a framework construct form php. CakePHP is an open source web software framework. A framework is defined pre-written objects and code.

CakePHP is an open-source web framework. It follows the model-view-controller (MVC) approach and is written in PHP, modeled after the concepts of Ruby on Rails, and distributed under the MIT License. CakePHP uses well-known software engineering concepts and software design patterns, such as convention over configuration, model-view-controller, active record, association data mapping, and front controller.

Official Website for CakePHP:  https://cakephp.org/