Paying With Your Phone

Thomas

With technology coming forward it was only a matter of time before we started paying for stuff with out phones. I use my Starbucks app all the time for my coffee (when I can afford it). I use my Tesco app as my store card.

Do you think these apps are a good idea? Or just another way for us to be robbed?

• Administrators

Haven't tried any of these yet, but I see others using it.  

It's not main stream enough yet I don't think.  I actually get frustrated while at Starbucks or another place that people can use there phones and they are sitting there thumbing through trying to find the app versus just handing them a card.

Maybe a design change is needed.  Something easier to activate it.  Or people should just prepare while in line to use it.

Well, where I live now, things haven't got that advanced yet. Still I can see the convenience of using a phone to pay for things. With the right security measures in place, it should be any more risky than swiping a credit card. I think Facebook has got started on this thing already. There was supposed to be a pilot done somewhere. Was it in Australia?

I don't trust this way of payment. How do I know if my payment is truly secure? I also stay away from banking through my phone.  There's a huge security risk if you lose your phone or it gets stolen. Then yu gotta worry about things like identity theft, no thanks.

I don't trust this way of payment. How do I know if my payment is truly secure? I also stay away from banking through my phone.  There's a huge security risk if you lose your phone or it gets stolen. Then yu gotta worry about things like identity theft, no thanks.

The amount of personal information already on my phone is silly enough without even thinking about this. Obviously there is the big thing of how they don;t actually show you the full card details and with the Starbucks one I have to reenter my password before It allows to be top up.

I actually trust these payments more then playing with my card now. I also find it easier. The amount of times I've walked to Starbucks and forgotten to get change; or the stupid customer in front of you that want's to pay half in cash and half on card that can't remember there pin, 

Taking it a step back I know my iPhone has both the Apps store and iTunes both active and with a few clicks a few hundred pounds can be out of my account for music I didn't buy, an email account for all my other accounts to reset my password with. 

Luckily I haven't lost my iPhone yet; but I know that I've always got FindMyiPhone app to help me out.

Well, where I live now, things haven't got that advanced yet. Still I can see the convenience of using a phone to pay for things. With the right security measures in place, it should be any more risky than swiping a credit card. I think Facebook has got started on this thing already. There was supposed to be a pilot done somewhere. Was it in Australia?

Credit and debit cards both have a huge risk that the customer stupidly leaves it in the chip and pin device. I don't know why tills don't tell you it's in there. The amount of times I've had a customer say they were paying with a card but produce one from the machine  And then you have to go through the very awcward procedures that you have to keep it for X number of days and If they do collect it then you have to produce photo ID for the card name.

Haven't tried any of these yet, but I see others using it.  

It's not main stream enough yet I don't think.  I actually get frustrated while at Starbucks or another place that people can use there phones and they are sitting there thumbing through trying to find the app versus just handing them a card.

Maybe a design change is needed.  Something easier to activate it.  Or people should just prepare while in line to use it.

With the new Passbook application it knows that when I am on my local high street it knows that I am close to my Starbucks allowing me to only swipe it across the screen to get to my bar code. I don't even need to enter my PIN.

I did see another use with this technology the other day. For my UPS delivery that we missed left the normal ticket. Instead of having to type out the long 15 or 16 digit number all I had to do is hover my camera over the bar code and within 2 seconds I have an up to date information at the touch of my hand. It really does seem like good technology that just needs a big push.

Does anyone see it clashing with the new contactless payment system? McDoanlds are really trying to go for this and it is quicker and easier then waiting for someone to do there pin.

• 7 months later...

Things haven't got that advanced here where I live but slowly and surely I notice all the online stores are using apps, like Vine.com (not Vine.co), where you can scan barcodes of specific items and compare the prices of that item from one location with their price. So, it's not a surprise that everything is going that direction right now. There's practically an app for everything nowadays.

• 4 years later...

I'm still using my phone to pay some stuffs.  most of the time using QR code.  Our country is not that advanced like yours.  But I think using your app is much more safer than to phone.  In the world with full of tech.  I wonder what next after your app.    

When this post was originally made, paying through your phone was not at all what it is now. It was pretty annoying to do, but fast forward 5 years into the future, and it has become very easy to do. You can just unlock your phone and tap your phone or scan the card. It is integrated in most of the newer phones and there is no need for external apps if you don't wish it anymore.

I will say, that not ALL places accept these forms of payments yet, so it might not be considered mainstream yet. 

Paying coffee with a phone is pretty sweet, i know this technology and its available where i live in but i'm not into it. Maybe if the system is already proven safe, until then i'm good with the manual thing. There's a lot of bright minds at this site and we all know that this system is susceptible to frauds and theft. Its just a matter of time that someone will attempt to get through the system.....coffee anyone?:drool:

I've been using my phone to pay for all kinds of stuff, I can even pay electric and utility bills through my phone. I think it's safe enough and there are good security measures in place to prevent others from accessing your account even if your phone gets stolen.

• 2 weeks later...

Paying using your mobile is a part of mobile and online banking and I've been using it for quite some time now, it's very easy and efficient, it has a lot of benefits like shorter queues in buying tickets in both cinemas and public transport.

It also has some drawbacks like, when your phone gets lost, hacked account and whenever your bank system crashes.  But still online and mobile banking is the norm now.

On 06/01/2013 at 2:13 PM, Thomas said:

With technology coming forward it was only a matter of time before we started paying for stuff with out phones. I use my Starbucks app all the time for my coffee (when I can afford it). I use my Tesco app as my store card.

Do you think these apps are a good idea? Or just another way for us to be robbed?

I haven't tried this App yet but I pay using my phone on some stall and it is quite good. I think because of the fast growing innovation in the field of technology that is why this is happening but Yes due to this ,there will be a times you can be robbed too. But I think the best way we could do is to just install or download those store whom we think is liable enough to transact with using our phone. Cause in the end, I think its we who will lost if that's case happen. Or best way is if you have enough cash or other means to pay , just pay it, without sacrificing your personal info or account. 

On 1/7/2013 at 9:17 AM, DarkGizmo said:

Paying using your phone is really secure, it will text you back to confirm and they will send you an email about that transaction.  Do not set your all application specially the bank application in your phone into automatically log in, so just in case you lost your phone.