Need some ideas about how to make a vBulletin plugin

Victor Leigh

I have a friend who is using vBulletin. He would like to add some extra features to the existing point system. Since he is rather busy with his real life work, I am helping him to get it done. So far this is what I have found out:

1. There is no vBulletin trial software. I can get access to his forum which is running but I don't want to because I am afraid of messing things up. I found some nulled vBulletin but I am not sure if I can install the points system on that. I need to have a good look at the existing system before I can think of how to add something to it.

2. I had a look at the vBulletin support forum. Can't really see much since I am not a licensed member.

3. I think one possible solution is to find a vBulletin plugin developer to get this done but I have absolutely no idea what kind of budget to think about.

4. I am game to try coding this myself but I must find a mentor before I get started. Where can I find one and what is the cost?

I hope someone can give me some ideas about how to get this done. Thank you.

I see. So Marc is the expert on vBulletin. I hope he will be able to help me on this. My friend's forum has been running for more than a year now. He has already got it going properly. Just want to bring it to a new level of activity. Thank you for your quick response.

1. There is no vBulletin trial software. I can get access to his forum which is running but I don't want to because I am afraid of messing things up. I found some nulled vBulletin but I am not sure if I can install the points system on that. I need to have a good look at the existing system before I can think of how to add something to it.

The isn't a trail version however you are allowed to run as many boards as you like for development purposes that are not open to the general public. This means you can especially copy the software and database onto a new sub domaine and play till your hearts content. I beleive that the license must be

From vBulletin:

1.7 Test Copy. You may make one (1) additional temporary test copy for the purpose of testing code, template and database modifications. Such a test copy must not be made available to the general public at any time.

Source: http://www.vbulletin.com/license-agreement/

In reality though as long as the board is only accessible by the staff vBulletin aren't going to send in the troops. Even more so if there no trace of the sub domain.

You will need a vBulletin lisence to download the Points System if it is placed on vBulletin.org unless it is hosted somewhere else. Talk to your Owner about that as he should be able to add an additional email account to get you access.

2. I had a look at the vBulletin support forum. Can't really see much since I am not a licensed member.

vBulletin allow the license to support up to 3 or 4 additional email address for being a license member across all official vBulletin boards.

3. I think one possible solution is to find a vBulletin plugin developer to get this done but I have absolutely no idea what kind of budget to think about.

Cost isn't something I can help you with as vBulletin.org where most of the developers hang out doesn't have a free se

There is a paid service section but it is only accessible to license members.

4. I am game to try coding this myself but I must find a mentor before I get started. Where can I find one and what is the cost?

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum will be your best friend.

Hope that helps Victor! 

Thank you very much, Thomas.

Not I have run into any kind of problem. My friend didn't know anything about software, so he paid someone to install the vBulletin for him. After he had paid that person and that person had disappeared into thin air, my friend discovered, after being alerted by someone else, that he had been given a nulled copy. So he bought a licence immediately. I believe his forum is still running on the original nulled copy. I heard someone say that the nulled copy is likely to be compromised by backdoors.

Now, what is the best way to solve this problem? Can I make a forum using the legitimate copy, duplicating all the sections and plugins, then copy the new, legitimate version over the nulled copy? Or delete the nulled copy and copy in the new, legitimate copy? Will anything go wrong in the process?

As long as the version are okay I would assume it would be okay.

Personally I'd say copy the structure of the website onto a sub domaine, duplicate the whole database, then simply drag and drop the files using FTP onto the copy and see if there are any issues while surfing around... that would be the simplest. 

Sounds like a plan. Just want to be doubly sure. When I copy the legitimate copy over the nulled copy, nothing will go wrong, right? I mean after setting up the legitimate copy to duplicate the sections and plugins already in the nulled copy.

btw is there just one single file in vBulleting which contains all the settings? If there is, then all I need to do is to copy that settings file and I will have all the sections set up in the new forum. Right?