When building your network of backlinks, backlink variation is a vital part of ensuring you get the most out of your SEO campaign. I've put together some great and easy information about backlink variation that can help people to understand this.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

Hope this helps out a few people!

You seemed to have messed like most newbies, when it comes to dofollow and a nofollow link. You seem to think that having a dofollow link is much better than a nofollow link, when that's entirely false. Dofollow links pass link juice and Nofollow does not, and that doesnt mean that your rankings depend on the link juice.

• Administrators
You seemed to have messed like most newbies, when it comes to dofollow and a nofollow link. You seem to think that having a dofollow link is much better than a nofollow link, when that's entirely false. Dofollow links pass link juice and Nofollow does not, and that doesnt mean that your rankings depend on the link juice.

Do Follow carries more weight than nofollow period.

Wait, my head is spinning. Let me see if I have understood this follow thing correctly.

The dofollow and nofollow thing is only relevant to search bots, right? To the human visitor, they look exactly the same, right? Now, with a dofollow link, the search bot will follow it to the target, thus giving the target some kind of consideration in search results, right? What I don't understand is how a dofollow link will do any harm to the source of the link. I mean the site where the link is placed. How does the matter of a search bot following a dofollow link make the source site lose anything?

How does the matter of a search bot following a dofollow link make the source site lose anything?

Because when a bot follows a do-follow link, it records a lot of info about that. If it follows it to a "bad" site, it's going to record that the site it's posted on is also, in a way, potentially 'bad' because it obviously supports it. If it didn't approve of it, after all, then it wouldn't be posting a link to that site, right? 

Right. The bottom line in protecting your site is to never allow a link to be made by someone else that doesn't carry nofollow. Google has stated time and time again that they don't want to see user generated links because these tend to be spammy and reflect badly upon both sites.

I set my forums up to automatically apply nofollow to any extrenal link and then I can later review links and whitelist those I feel are quality sites.  It's worked so far. I also try to find alternate ways of promoting member interests, sometimes without them even knowing I've done it.

There's also a 2 minute mod for assigning nofollow on phpbb forums, why it's not the default behavior I don't know. I guess the designers are really anti-seo and believe SEO is not important. Still, why not be safe instead of sorry right?

Because it's helpful to allow the regular links being posted to be followed. Generally signature links are set to no-follow by default, but it can be really good to allow do-follow links throughout the rest of the forum. 

There's also a 2 minute mod for assigning nofollow on phpbb forums, why it's not the default behavior I don't know. I guess the designers are really anti-seo and believe SEO is not important. Still, why not be safe instead of sorry right?

This is interesting. Though I believe that on certain forums, dofollow links are needed.