Have you ever taken a MOOC class before?

protoboard

Today I got an email from Coursera announcing that Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems: Part 1 was open once again. I took this class last year but didn't finish it because of lack of time. I'm going to give this one another try and hopefully this time I will finish it.

This is just one example of the wide range of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) available for free. I just wanted to know if you have ever taken one of this courses before and what your experiences have been with them.

A couple years ago I enrolled at openlearning's Computer 1: The Art of Programming, a course that uses C as an introductory programming language. I strongly recommend that course to anyone wanting to learn C. It was great but unfortunately there where some logistic problems with the first run of this course and me and a lot of other people couldn't finish it. Hopefully they have fixed all of that and the course runs fine now.

And now back on the Android course. As I said I'm going to enroll once again so if you enroll there too let me know so we can form a study group.

I've used self-paced online training before, but nothing similar to an MOOC.  It's not my style of learning, so it's a bit of a challenge for me to be able to complete these types of courses.  I work best when I'm given a project/task and I need to figure out how to do it.  The structured learn-this-code-then-do-this-project-using-the-code-you-just-learned never really made sense to me.

But, for those who are inclined to learn that way?  Yeah, I think it's awesome that these exist out there for free.  Go sign up and learn something - show the organizations who host them that there are people utilizing the service!  :)

I'm more of a self-paced learner too. The way MOOCs are organized does not makes much sense to me because I don't see why the content should be divided by weeks instead of already available since day one. Maybe that's why I haven't finished the ones I started, like the one I mentioned on the first post. Maybe this time things will be different for me.

• 3 years later...

I didn't, even though I heard about it. I was indeed intrigued by this class previously, and really wanted to go there. Sadly, didn't have the time. They just recently held one here in our city, but not many people went there. Guess it's not so popular here.