Do you enjoy working with a database?

KenBrace

I know some people that enjoy the non-database aspect of PHP. However I find MySQL to be very efficient, organised, and fun to work with myself.

Anyone else enjoy it like myself or would you rather not have to deal with a database?

I don't know if I'd really call it 'fun', but more of a necessity.  For the most part, I would really prefer not to have to deal with a database and SQL queries - especially for smaller projects.  But, overall, it could be a lot worse.  Fortunately, MySQL is very good about being well-organized and documented, much more so than other SQL Servers out there.

• Administrators

Any decent web application needs a database as far as I'm concerned.  I like working with SQL.  My first job was working with Microsoft SQL Server 2000.  Really enjoyed it.

• 3 years later...

Absolutely. I love interacting with the database on a daily basis. My work primarily deals with export bills analysis and database is a must for us. We use SQL as the database. Playing with such large files is always a challenging task but at the same time it is very good to have it on your resume. Dealing with databases is a critical area and people should be very skilled at it. Any misuse with the data will result in data inconsistencies. Also, we must be careful with the locks on the tables.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2015 at 8:59 PM, KenBrace said:

I know some people that enjoy the non-database aspect of PHP. However I find MySQL to be very efficient, organised, and fun to work with myself.

Anyone else enjoy it like myself or would you rather not have to deal with a database?

Practically, this depends on what kind of stuff you are into. Mostly when you create static websites (which are stale and considered history, today), you probably never use the Databases. But it doesn't end just there. I mean, sites based on CMS like OpenCart, WordPress and a whole bunch of others, do need some database. Agreed, on most of the cases you might never interact with Databases directly.

However, once you start developing stuff known as Web Applications, you cannot escape the use of the Databases. I had been involved with many such projects in the past that did need an exhaustive use of database. Having worked with different ones - Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL and the now popular  MariaDB, I feel all have been similar thanks to the basic SQL language which got standardized decades ago.

Currently, I am working on a project that includes two different Databases - MS SQL Server and MariaDB - and until now, it has been fun. Complications are expected ahead, but at this stage, I am happy that I am working on such a project. Oh yes, and I am on PHP 7.x

Personally, I enjoy working with different sets of data and constructing new methods to make business reporting more efficient. It is as challenging as I make it, but the more work I put in the more rewarding the results as I see the business shape around my achievements. Also, it really is quite fascinating to see how different types of data stored in different tables interact with each other and serve as the building block of the application.

• 3 months later...