Best Forum Software?

32 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Favorite Forum Software?

• IP.Board
    • vBulletin
    • SMF
    • Xenforo
    • phpBB
    • MyBB
    • Other

• Administrators

Until now I have worked with the following: phpBB, SMF, MyBB, IPB, Vbulletin and XenForo. Started with PhpBB and then moved from them when the 3.x series got out. Tried SMF and it was impossible to skin it as I would have liked. I still hate the script today :) Worked with IPB for 2 years, then I had to close down the forums since back then they didn't have ONE decent anti-spam plugin. Won't ever use it again. MyBB was my choice for free scripts and it was OK, but was also limited. So now my forums use VB, which I actually like and Xenforo. Have used XF for less than 1 month but I am so impressed it's my favourite now.

vBulletin 3.x or 4.x?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you should consider retrying IPB I mean its a great software I can't find a reason why you didn't like it. IPB I think is one of the most powerful software's out there without a doubt. Its ea

IPB vs vBulletin, I think IPB has the upper hand. They are working to improve their software and release updates. vBulletin has almost went stagnate at this point.

In my opinion I think MyBB is the best forum software around. It is really easy to customize and has a great UI. Never used any paid softwares so I can't give opinion on them.

My vote is on MyBB and phpBB, there both absolutely brilliant scripts, and I find them extremely easy to customize to make them suit my needs, as well as them having an extensive plug-ins, mods, themes and resources databases and information available to help customize it exactly how any forum owner would want it.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

I was completely IP.Board. But this week I have been setting up a vBulletin 4.x board for a client and wow. They do have some great features. Some things I need plugins for on IP.Board are already built into vBulletin. Overall they both have their pros and cons. I would like to own both :)

I was completely IP.Board. But this week I have been setting up a vBulletin 4.x board for a client and wow. They do have some great features. Some things I need plugins for on IP.Board are already built into vBulletin. Overall they both have their pros and cons. I would like to own both :)

SEE!!! I've been saying this for a while now! VB has some good stuff. They got a quick bad rep when 4.0 came out. But they've picked up the slack and shed off some of the fat. I'm more and more impressed with each update. The recent acquisition of Forum Runner is a Win! I just wish we could incorporate some of its features into the vb mobile suite... such as notifications. I can't believe notifications isn't a core part of their mobile app.

• Administrators

Haha yeah. It really is a love/hate kinda deal, now I'm finding things that vBulletin doesn't have that are built into IP.Board and vise versa. Why can't someone just include all from both ? :)

Haha yeah. It really is a love/hate kinda deal, now I'm finding things that vBulletin doesn't have that are built into IP.Board and vise versa. Why can't someone just include all from both ? :)

Because then there would be little to no competition. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I have played around with SMF. Lately I am looking more closely at myBB because of one plug-in which they have. The plug-in looks very well supported. As for Xenforo, I have been on a number of forums which use it and I like the speed. One thing I am curious about is why Xenforo is being offered as competition prizes.

Is there some kind of special deal involved if Xenforo is offered as a prize?

• 2 weeks later...

I think IP Board is the best community software out there as it is one of the most secure and stable boards as well as being up to date with the web with things like notifications. It also has the best default design so if you plan to use that then stick with IPB.

XenForo is the second best. It's new and shiny so a lot of people vote for it but unfortunately it's young age shows. There are a huge amount of bugs, a lack of plugins and theme developers are in short supply. The software itself is great but has a long way to go before it can properly compete.

MyBB is the next best software. It is free which means you have plenty of money left to buy a great custom theme and these are often cheaper than custom themes for the paid softwares! MyBB also comes with a great plugin and theme system.

vBuletin is fourth and is quite similar to MyBB but it is very bloated and slow. Many people have server issues if they try to run vBulletin on shared hosting. As it's paid and has a team of developers working on it you get better security but the software itself could do with being rewritten to make it more lightweight.

phpBB is one of the most popular softwares and has been around for a very long time. It's got a huge number of plugins and themes out there and the theme system isn't bad allowing you to edit using your favourite website editing tools. Unfortunately the ACP is confusing and plugins are just a nightmare. This software isn't as easy to use as MyBB but can provide some great features because of the large community behind it.

One of the worst forum softwares out there is SMF. Updates are slow and security is awful. The software is really poor quality and there are problems throughout it. The ACP is dreadful and themes aren't great. Yet there is one thing I like about SMF - it's the only forum I can find with LinkedIn login integration!

I think IP Board is the best community software out there as it is one of the most secure and stable boards as well as being up to date with the web with things like notifications. It also has the best default design so if you plan to use that then stick with IPB.

XenForo is the second best. It's new and shiny so a lot of people vote for it but unfortunately it's young age shows. There are a huge amount of bugs, a lack of plugins and theme developers are in short supply. The software itself is great but has a long way to go before it can properly compete.

MyBB is the next best software. It is free which means you have plenty of money left to buy a great custom theme and these are often cheaper than custom themes for the paid softwares! MyBB also comes with a great plugin and theme system.

vBuletin is fourth and is quite similar to MyBB but it is very bloated and slow. Many people have server issues if they try to run vBulletin on shared hosting. As it's paid and has a team of developers working on it you get better security but the software itself could do with being rewritten to make it more lightweight.

phpBB is one of the most popular softwares and has been around for a very long time. It's got a huge number of plugins and themes out there and the theme system isn't bad allowing you to edit using your favourite website editing tools. Unfortunately the ACP is confusing and plugins are just a nightmare. This software isn't as easy to use as MyBB but can provide some great features because of the large community behind it.

One of the worst forum softwares out there is SMF. Updates are slow and security is awful. The software is really poor quality and there are problems throughout it. The ACP is dreadful and themes aren't great. Yet there is one thing I like about SMF - it's the only forum I can find with LinkedIn login integration!

What board do you use? i'm curious to see why you say vbulletin is bloated and slow. Any forum can be bloated and slow, it's all dependent on what the admin installs. How they optimize themes and servers. I forget the exact number, but i think my vbulletin page has 20-30 queries and loads quite fat... much faster than a lot of ipboards or xenforo pages.

In my opinion I think MyBB is the best forum software around. It is really easy to customize and has a great UI. Never used any paid softwares so I can't give opinion on them.

Are you good with fixing bugs in myBB? Not that I have found any yet but I am seriously thinking of using myBB for my forum. So far I have located two myBB plugin developers who have got a paid support service. Have you used them before? One is Pirato and the other is Yaldaram.

• 2 weeks later...

Have voted for vbulletin. I have gone through IPB, xenforo, phpbb, mybb, and even instantforum.net at one point. I have always ended up back on vbulletin for the single reason of size and scale of development. There is more for vbulletin simply on stock, let alone the development community. It certainly helps, especially if you can play about with the feel of the forum for yourself as well.

Have voted for vbulletin. I have gone through IPB, xenforo, phpbb, mybb, and even instantforum.net at one point. I have always ended up back on vbulletin for the single reason of size and scale of development. There is more for vbulletin simply on stock, let alone the development community. It certainly helps, especially if you can play about with the feel of the forum for yourself as well.

Hmm I feel like the scale of development on MyBB is as good and although I haven't used vBulletin, I've seen many forums that have vBulletin.

Hmm I feel like the scale of development on MyBB is as good and although I haven't used vBulletin, I've seen many forums that have vBulletin.

MyBB doesnt have half the stuff in it that vbulletin has as stock, in fact there isnt a peice of forum software that does. Dunno what the mod community is like on mybb though I must admit.

• Administrators

MyBB doesnt have half the stuff in it that vbulletin has as stock, in fact there isnt a peice of forum software that does. Dunno what the mod community is like on mybb though I must admit.

I've used both IP.Board and vBulletin for several years now. It seems the most current 4.x vBulletin and IP.Board 3.3.x both have settings that are stock that the other ones do not. Either way I like them both, but have to install mods no matter which I use.

Why can't they just have one that has all these included? :)

Really I've used them all from an admin perspective to a user perspective.

Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages but all are workable solutions in the long run.

There is only 1 software I avoid with a passion and that is SMF. I've recently purchased a SMF forum and it was horrible. Must be some of the most useless perceive of web script that I have ever used. If I was offered a job at another website using SMF then I would always turn it down just because of the software.

• Administrators

Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages but all are workable solutions in the long run.

There is only 1 software I avoid with a passion and that is SMF. I've recently purchased a SMF forum and it was horrible. Must be some of the most useless perceive of web script that I have ever used. If I was offered a job at another website using SMF then I would always turn it down just because of the software.

Ah yes, my first forum was on SMF, I liked it and was easy to learn. But it does lack a lot, almost everything you need extra is a mod, spam is a pain in the ass to keep off and I had issues where spam bots would try to login to user accounts and end up logging out the actual users in mid posting.

I've used both IP.Board and vBulletin for several years now. It seems the most current 4.x vBulletin and IP.Board 3.3.x both have settings that are stock that the other ones do not. Either way I like them both, but have to install mods no matter which I use.

Why can't they just have one that has all these included? :)

Because then our life would be boring LOL ....

And now thats 3 of us... SMF drove my head mental LOL