Kakashi2020

How Does Social Media Affect Rankings? Is it a SEO Factor?

Search engines are working on ways to use social media as indicators of content people want to consume. How much influence social media posts have on your search engine ranking is a closely guarded secret though. But it is one of a multitude of factors they use.

So, posts on social media will help search engines find new content and will influence rankings slightly, however, there are a lot of other factors that come into play too.

On 3/16/2018 at 3:52 PM, Nathan said:

Hmm...I'm not sure I believe that.  The platforms where your links to your site when shared and not public I'd agree, but any public backlinks can't hurt

Yep that's quite right, quality backlinks are quite important in SEO and here's an additional fact did you know that even without backlinks an article or content shared by your site in Facebook would help your rankings depending on the number of shares made by others on Facebook?

Edited by Nathan
Fixed quote

6 hours ago, WisTex said:

Search engines are working on ways to use social media as indicators of content people want to consume. How much influence social media posts have on your search engine ranking is a closely guarded secret though. But it is one of a multitude of factors they use.

So, posts on social media will help search engines find new content and will influence rankings slightly, however, there are a lot of other factors that come into play too.

Yep you're right.

The secret is on the number of people who shared your content on Facebook.  The more unique shares your content gets, will help you site rank faster. 

On 3/18/2018 at 1:16 PM, Kakashi2020 said:

Yep that's quite right, quality backlinks are quite important in SEO and here's an additional fact did you know that even without backlinks an article or content shared by your site in Facebook would help your rankings depending on the number of shares made by others on Facebook?

I don't know that it would help your Google rankings based on # of shares, but I could be wrong.  I could see it increasing your ranking on Facebook itself in user's post feed view though.

It's definitely a ranking factor now. This is why you should create profiles for your business on the main social platforms, like Facebook and Twitter. By adding links to your website in your profile and regularly sharing content on your timeline, you can help boost your website's overall ranking. It seems like being active on social media sends search engines the message that your business is legitimate and ready to interact with its customers.

How does social media affect rankings? Is it a SEO factor?: Yes social media is not a SEO factor but for me it will also affect your ranking in some other ways especially if you do shared backlinks in public but then it not that big maybe but it also has an effect not directly but in its own way.

I am also confused even if I had read several discussions about the social signals which are your links that you posted in social media. But lately there are discussions that say social signals are now considered by search engines as legitimate backlinks which means the links of your site that you posted in social media has a positive effect in the SEO of your site that it can increase the ranking in the search engines.