Upselling is the marketing term in which the seller proposes, suggests and or induces the buyer to purchase more products like ad-ons, upgrades and or accessories thereby gaining more profit in selling more items.  It's an effective selling technique that could earn a marketer lots of profit if done correctly.  

A good example is in selling footwear in which one could upsell with socks.  Or when selling Jeans, upselling it with belts would be a good strategy.  One of the best upsells is in the food industry, if you've bought a burger the counter person would always ask you if you want an upgrade or if you want some fries with your burger, and it usually works.  

IMG_20180503_045619_588.jpg

A lot of companies do this and I don't really see anything wrong with it. I guess it's not a problem for me because I'm able to easily say no to any of these people that try to sell on add-ons or more items to try and get more money from. I don't have a problem at all saying no to them because I know and understand that they do it to increase their profit or commision. But I guess some people aren't able to do this as comfortably so don't like when people try to upsell to them. It is a pretty good tactic from the business point of view because you can potentially increase your revenue and profit without too much of extra effort.

Yeah, it's more effective when these additional items are presented to the buyer after they have already ordered/ purchased the main item, since they are more likely to think that purchasing additional add-ons would improve the product that they have bought, like in case of upsizing food items.

A brilliant sales trick to increase sales. However I think you need to be careful how you do it. You need to have a strategy. The most common instance I've seen this technique used is in a fast food restaurant  for instance where you order a pizza and they try to sell you additional toppings like cheese, or extra pepperoni, or fries or a drink. However I don't think they do it that well. Its like a script and they look and sound really disinterested. If your going to do this your going to have to sound like you care and up sell products that are related and that make the customer think you really care. I think if done well it really works.

47 minutes ago, jaymish said:

A brilliant sales trick to increase sales. However I think you need to be careful how you do it. You need to have a strategy. The most common instance I've seen this technique used is in a fast food restaurant  for instance where you order a pizza and they try to sell you additional toppings like cheese, or extra pepperoni, or fries or a drink. However I don't think they do it that well. Its like a script and they look and sound really disinterested. If your going to do this your going to have to sound like you care and up sell products that are related and that make the customer think you really care. I think if done well it really works.

Upselling is usually done on the counter after ordering and sometimes while your ordering, that's for fast food restaurants.  In sit down restaurants, it's done when one is ordering from a menu, the waiter would wait for you to order and suggest that you order some appetizers or soup or dessert along with the main dish you've ordered.