• Administrators

I'm far from a expert on SEO, but I have been working with websites for quite a few years now and I'm starting to find some trends that work and some that don't. The below are the top 5 tips on SEO that I believe help you the most.

1. Content Content and more Content:

Content is KING. Period. Fresh unique content is what Google loves over all else. IF you have great content you will rank high for it.

2. Link Building

I know it's very time consuming and extremely tedious, but link building is going to be your 2nd best bet for SEO. You need increased traffic for increased SERPS.

3. Meta Tag Optimizartion

Make sure your Meta Tags are optimized. What I mean by optimized is RELEVANT. I know I know, it's a pain and you don't really know what to put.... Take your time write down all the keywords that describe your site, then take that list and cut it down to 7-10 most important. From there you can create a description that is rich with your keywords. Now on the rest of your page you need to sprinkle these keywords around, Google looks to see how many times certain words are displayed on your site. So if you keyword is "development", for example, Google had better see it FREQUENTLY on your site.

4. Forum Posting

Forum posting is a great way to build backlinks, and you just might learn something as well. Get a group of 5 or 6 forums and become a regular member by posting daily. Forum signature links are not going to hold much weight for SEO, but helping someone answer a question then siting it with a link back to your site will. If you actually put forth the effort you will be surprised with the amount of people that will follow you to your forum. Everyone wants to be a part of the group, so start now.

5. Blogs

Google loves Blogs. They rank easily and get indexed FAST! I would recommend always running a blog with your website. A blog isn't hard to maintain, just a few new posts per week goes a long ways. If you can't find something interesting to talk about on your topic 2 times a week then you have a website on the wrong topic and you will fail.

I hope these help!

Yes content is king to getting the likes google and other sites finding you second in my view is get self sorted out for meta tags and understanding how seach engines view your site, if need guest to log in to view topic well so will search engines so no point in hiding your items also links building will help long with forum posting and having a blog also social networking works on top.

Forum posting is a great one that I think people overlook too frequently. Or they end up spamming instead so the posting ends up failing for them.

Signature links are good, of course, but like you said, it's important to make sure you're actually answering someone's question and giving quality content. Then, whether you can add a link to the post itself or not, people are still more likely to follow you back to your site to see more of what you offer.

Spam can be used in so many ways, email spam, posting spam but what would i class spam in my view could be not in someone else eyes, spam in my view is little content towards a topic or a post or just having one or two words, email spam in my view is item that don't want or don't have need for so all different but that going total off topic, lot sites allow signature in your profile or have place that allows you post your site eg to view, rate and provide feedback.

Spam can be used in so many ways, email spam, posting spam but what would i class spam in my view could be not in someone else eyes, spam in my view is little content towards a topic or a post or just having one or two words, email spam in my view is item that don't want or don't have need for so all different but that going total off topic, lot sites allow signature in your profile or have place that allows you post your site eg to view, rate and provide feedback.

I hate spammers and now there are a lot of sites that ban your Ip send it to a site and then every forum or blog that has some sort of script/mod from that site will ban your IP automaticly so you cant do anything on over 10000 of forums and even more.

Here are some SEO tips from my side:

1) Use Header tags (H1 to H6) to highlight important content. Make sure that you include your primary and secondary keywords in header tags so that you webpage is consider relevant for a keyword.

2) Keyword Placement - Make sure that you use your primary keyword in the first and last sentences and few times within the content. Aim for a keyword density of around 2%.

3) Use of relevant keywords - Apart from using primary keywords, you must also include few relevant keywords (or LSI articles) within your article.

SEO is a time-consuming process but the rewards are surely worth it.

Bryce

Something more on content.

My study has shown that the traditional 500-600 word articles are no good now. If you want to setup a great site, an authority site, you need long, informative, interactive articles. By long, I mean something from 1000-3000 words each!

Yes, this is pretty much high word count, but believe me, it really works now.

And never forget conversion when doing meta tag optimization. The meta description has little relevance for ranking but usually shows up in the SERP under the title. If it is an important landing page take some time to make that description tag a pre-sales pitch.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate spammers and now there are a lot of sites that ban your Ip send it to a site and then every forum or blog that has some sort of script/mod from that site will ban your IP automaticly so you cant do anything on over 10000 of forums and even more.

I had some truly bizarre forum comments (that never made it out of moderation). I ran their IP through stopforumspam.com and found a ton of nastiness coming from it. I've banned three IPs (the full IP address, I didn't want to risk weeding out too many legitimate posters) and I've had no issues for a few days now. Granted, I'm sure the next batch will be coming on a new IP, but at least I got a breather!

I had some truly bizarre forum comments (that never made it out of moderation). I ran their IP through stopforumspam.com and found a ton of nastiness coming from it. I've banned three IPs (the full IP address, I didn't want to risk weeding out too many legitimate posters) and I've had no issues for a few days now. Granted, I'm sure the next batch will be coming on a new IP, but at least I got a breather!

A good point. A lot of people don't realise that you can use websites such as the one that you mentioned to check and take action on spam from specific IP addresses. Unfortunately, it is a continuous battle and the reality is that there will always be more IP addresses that need banning, but I think that it helps if you make it part of your routine.

• Administrators

You know on IP.Board they do this for you?

Something more on content.

My study has shown that the traditional 500-600 word articles are no good now. If you want to setup a great site, an authority site, you need long, informative, interactive articles. By long, I mean something from 1000-3000 words each!

Yes, this is pretty much high word count, but believe me, it really works now.

I did not know that! Now, should that word count be on a single page or should it be spread out over a couple of pages (like a blog series post where each one is linked to the ones before and after it in the series? Or one mammoth post?) I can see the SEO value of both ways of doing things.

• Administrators

I've done testing since seeing this.

I have content that is just a video or a few sentences that ranks higher than big articles in the same niche. So the content length does not matter, what matters is what is better content.

I've done testing since seeing this.

I have content that is just a video or a few sentences that ranks higher than big articles in the same niche. So the content length does not matter, what matters is what is better content.

I'm not sure about that. There's no way for Google to make out which content is good, and which is not. It uses some mild signals like external links' relevance, images/multimedia used, user activity etc, but nothing from the content per se.

• Administrators

Sure it can, you can describe your content within a few words, then Google knows what the content is. If a lot of people continue to view the content then Google knows it's good and continues to move it up. I have 1000's of pages indexed by Google that rank on page 1 and it's a video and 3-10 words that explain what the video is, but the content receives 1000's of views per day.