What programming languages do you know?

chiller

Hello Developer Base!

My first post!

I generally do not like listing skill-sets, however if it can be done tactfully and not a "competition". Then there is no harm in it I think.

I'm constantly learning and I will be a permanent student for the rest of my life. However through my current journey of knowledge I've meet these strangers (Note: I've included things that are not programming languages, but are things I've encountered/worked with):

• C#.NET,.NET 4.0,LINQ,VB.NET,ASP.NET,Python,F# (Basic),
  • WPF (Basic),
  • SilverLight(Basic)
  • PHP (very basic),
  • IIS 6 & 7 (Intermediate),
  • FORTRAN,
  • VB6,
  • JavaScript (very nice)
  • LISP (Beautiful)
  • SQL 2005 & 2008, MySQL
  • (X)HTML,
  • SGML,
  • XML,
  • XSLT,
  • jQuery,
  • HASKELL (Basic),
  • SubVersion,
  • LaTeX,
  • AutoCAD,
  • NX IDEAS 10,
  • Processing 1.0,
  • Clemintines,
  • Knowledge Studio,
  • x86 & Z80 Assembly,
  • 3DS Max 2010, Blender
  • AudoDesk Combustion,
  • Adobe After Effects CS3,
  • SynthEyes,
  • PFTrack,
  • MATLAB,
  • GNUPlot,
  • Dot Language (GraphViz),
  • Sony Vegas 7,
  • Open Concept Judo, Wing Tsun (Orange Belt)

Again, I'm just learning, some things above I've only played with, others I know deeply. Above all its about constantly learning!

Lol, nice first post. That's a heck of a list...

But I have to ask, where the heck did you go? :)

With such a wide knowledge base, you need to be teaching some of this to us!

I'm at pretty much the same as the OP.

I've learned myself php and SQL because I needed it with various websites and services.

I've been willing to learn some C# and C++ for the past couple of years and I'm progressing slow, but steady!

I was also working with a project using AutoIt3, I found it really interesting and simple language.

I also recently got into Java, after noticing that even the worst apps on android store have made hundreds of thousands dollars.

Lol, nice first post. That's a heck of a list...

But I have to ask, where the heck did you go? :)

With such a wide knowledge base, you need to be teaching some of this to us!

I'm still around! :)

Just been uber busy, I need a better life/work balance.

I'm always more than willing to share whatever little knowledge that I have. Also I'm always open to learning new things.

The world is full of potential, and a beautiful place if only you are willing to see it that way.

I know HTML and CSS alright, and have done some very basic work with JavaScript. I've also dabbled in Python.

I'm currently teaching myself Visual Basic.

I've also taken classes in Java, but remember very little from them. I hope to go back to it one day though.

• 1 month later...

I've just finished collage and there I learned Java, MySQL, PHP, C# and VB.net. Before that I already knew HTML och CSS (which is pretty basic).I have also started to take on javascript and jQuery since this is soon the only thing you'll need for web developing.

I'd love to learn AJAX for a smarter and a more interactive web, and I'm learning ASP.net at the moment.

Edited by gaifboy

I've just finished collage and there I learned Java, MySQL, PHP, C# and VB.net. Before that I already knew HTML och CSS (which is pretty basic).I have also started to take on javascript and jQuery since this is soon the only thing you'll need for web developing.

I'd love to learn AJAX for a smarter and a more interactive web, and I'm learning ASP.net at the moment.

Wouldnt have thought javascript and jquery will be the only thing you will need for web developing. Sure they are good, however they are both clientside. Your never gonna get away from the need for serverside development

Wouldnt have thought javascript and jquery will be the only thing you will need for web developing. Sure they are good, however they are both clientside. Your never gonna get away from the need for serverside development

With Node.js, you can do serious server-side development with JavaScript.

The problem I have with JavaScript (as well as PHP) though, is it can get quite hellish to maintain, once your program gets to a certain size and complexity. Perhaps it speaks more about the average quality (or the lack thereof) of the programmers in those languages than the languages themselves.

The problem I have with JavaScript (as well as PHP) though, is it can get quite hellish to maintain, once your program gets to a certain size and complexity. Perhaps it speaks more about the average quality (or the lack thereof) of the programmers in those languages than the languages themselves.

Im sure as the program gets bigger and the code becomes more overwhelming it would be a pickle to maintain. That's why Arranging your code from the get go is a good idea

I've played around with node.js fantastic stuff, however If I was asked to do big project for a client I would not use it.

Also you're forgetting, that you also would need SQL at some point, unless you are planning on not having any data-store what so ever. Web development requires a whole set of different languages. It would be nice to have a single language/platform but that's not how the real world works. Also different languages and platforms have their own strengths and weakness. For example, as much as I like .NETs LINQ it will never replace hardcore SQL

In terms of complexity, as the codebase increases, naturally complexity increases also.

I agree with one point, writing clean modular and robust code is NOT easy. Generally PHP programmers are not famous for writing clean code! However this is about better education and training, clean code can be done in any language.

Edited by __Darknite

• 2 weeks later...

I've been programming for very long and I know some languages very well, namely C++, Python and PHP. But I've tried many others and try to get better at some of them, with languages like Ruby, Java, Javascript, C, Assembly, Visual Basic, Game Maker Language, Lua, Torquescript, Actionscript 2 and 3, C#, . If you include markup languages, I know HTML, XML and CSS quite well. I think that's all, but I might be missing one or two.

I'm not really an expert in any programming language but I know a little bit of everything. The language I know best is java and that's because I used to make private servers for a game called RuneScape. I would like to master C++ but it seems impossible. I want to make games and C++ is a very good language to do so. Hopefully I'll get back to C++ soon but lately I've been messing around with PHP.

I know just a little bit about python because i started watching some tutorials on youtube that were new but the guys stopped uploading them and i didnt wanted to watch others.Anyway it was fun.

I would like to learn C++ for a game that i play.

VB.NET

VB6

C# (Windows and Mobile)

Java for android dev to a degree

PHP(ish)

HTML

CSS(ish)

Microsoft SQL Server 2000/2005/2008/R2

FoxPro

MYSQL

Microsoft Access

Foxpro?

That's quite unexpected. I thought Foxpro has become a lost language. When I was actively doing programming, Foxpro was the language I used. I started with dBase, then migrated to Foxbase and finally endup with Foxpro. I have been looking for a version of Foxpro that runs on Linux.

Have you seen any?

Foxpro?

That's quite unexpected. I thought Foxpro has become a lost language. When I was actively doing programming, Foxpro was the language I used. I started with dBase, then migrated to Foxbase and finally endup with Foxpro. I have been looking for a version of Foxpro that runs on Linux.

Have you seen any?

Would be very supprised if you can find forxpro that runs on linux as its a microsoft technology. I use foxpro in supporting legacy applications and updates at work, along with building integration applications from other applications that have been built either fully in foxpro, or with a foxpro backend.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Python is go to language for everyday script writing, but I also have knowledge in HTML, JavaScript, and PHP. I've just started beginning C and it's proving to be a bit harder than the other ones. Python is my favorite by far though. :)

Edited by Dyme