PHP IDE?

Marc

Hi Guys,

I have come from the shiny world of visual studio where I develop in .NET applications. However I am very quickly getting into PHP development. At the moment Im using notepad++ which when I am used to a full IDE with debugging capability etc is quite difficult.

So my question to you guys is what IDE do you use? I am looking at the ability to step through code as its executing etc primarily. Have played a little with eclipse and the PDT plugin but that is about it so far.

I know a lot of new people getting into php enjoy notepad++ however I always use Dreamweaver for all my web development needs.

Never really got on with dreamweaver. Gotta admit its a while since Ive played with it, however it used to throw rubbish into my code where it wasnt needed to ditched it in preference of something more lowtech.

Notepad++ is great even if just used for its plugins to be honest. Compare gets used a lot by me when converting skins over to new version of my site software (vbulletin) for example.

• Administrators

I use Notepad++ as well for my PHP stuff, but it doesn't point out syntax errors, so you have to upload it to the server and browse to the page to find errors. Which I've done so far without any problems, but if there was something that did a better job I would def give it a try.

I use Notepad++ as well for my PHP stuff, but it doesn't point out syntax errors, so you have to upload it to the server and browse to the page to find errors. Which I've done so far without any problems, but if there was something that did a better job I would def give it a try.

This is exactly my issue. Debugging the code is a pain in the backside.

If your editing live stuff like that btw, add the ftp addon to notepad++ as you can just open and edit the files direct. Obviously if you have a copy of everything incase of messin up like I do on a regular basis lol

• 1 year later...

A lot of people recommend PHP Storm, but I've never used it. I prefer text editors over IDEs. Check out Sublime Text 2 or 3. Sublime is extremely customizable, easy to use, and has an amazing library of plugins. There's also Coda which is similar, but you have to pay for it and it's an OS X exclusive.

Edited by vxacid

• Administrators

A lot of people recommend PHP Storm, but I've never used it. I prefer text editors over IDEs. Check out Sublime Text 2 or 3. Sublime is extremely customizable, easy to use, and has an amazing library of plugins. There's also Coda which is similar, but you have to pay for it and it's an OS X exclusive.

I always used notepad ++ and swore by it.  Then once I decided I need to start some sort of version control it didn't make sense to upload the file to ftp then also commit it to github.  I then figured out what an IDE was so stuck with it since.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started using: PHP Storm.  Costs $100 but so worth it.

Seamless integration with uploading to FTP while also pushing to GitHub.

Ah you beat me to it. I came into this thread to post about PHP Storm. In fact, all their IDEs are great which is probably why Google chose to modify their Java IDE to become the official Android Studio developer kit. However if you are more of a text editor fan there's also Sublime Text which I love.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 1/15/2014 at 1:51 PM, simplysidy said:

Well, I have been using NetBeans PHP edition for a while now. And I do find it much better than many others. It is free and also provides great support when documenting the codes, classes etc. I think you should give it a try.

This is also a good idea.NetBeans also best editor tool.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/7/2018 at 11:22 AM, Daniel204 said:

This is also a good idea.NetBeans also best editor tool.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your valuable answer in the community. I am also using NetBeans Editor Tool.