SEO With Your Domain

• Administrators

So did you guys know that purchasing you domain for longer than 1 year helps with SEO?

It's pretty minimal, but every small thing you do to improve SEO helps.

The search engines see your site as a more reliable source as it is committed to be online if you buy your domain for 5 years vs. 1.

So did you guys know that purchasing you domain for longer than 1 year helps with SEO?

The search engines see your site as a more reliable source as it is committed to be online if you buy your domain for 5 years vs. 1.

I didn't know that and every little bit does help. This will really help the domains that I know I will develop. Do you know if the SEO help stops if you push the domain to a new owner?

• Administrators

I didn't know that and every little bit does help. This will really help the domains that I know I will develop. Do you know if the SEO help stops if you push the domain to a new owner?

Nope shouldn't as long as the domain isn't dropped.

Just wondering where you read this because I've never heard of it before. Is this something that was released recently?

• Administrators

I don't remember now, but have seen it several places over the years and had many SEO people back it.

While Google doesn't disclose all their algorithms on SEO no one knows 100%. They claim that if Google sees your domain expiration date as 5 years from now vs 1 year you are committed to the site and it will be a source of information for several years. Rather than 1 of the thousands of websites that are started then abandoned/deleted/expired.

This was always applicable. But if your domain is blacklisted, then there is no point buying them as they will remain deindexed. So its better to see how many backlinks the domain has and also how many pages it had indexed before it was on sale.

I'd dispute this purely on grounds of logic. Not wishing to be deliberately obtuse but the longevity of a website has absolutely nothing to do with the value of its content, how often it will change hands or even for what purpose it will be used. You just have to look at sites that have been around for a while with virtually no content - or scraped nonsense to get traffic - and which have then been sold on to have a proper purpose. Or vice versa.

Unless Google confirmed this one themselves, I'll remain sceptical. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

There isn't anyway to know 100% if it's true or not for sure as Google does not release their algorithms. But it's a simple way to cover your bases. New sites of mine have gotten indexed much faster since I started doing 5 year purchases, but hard to say why that is.

So yeah, domain age does matter.. But it's just 1 of those hundreds of signals Google uses to rank sites.

Nothing new..

Domain age matters yes, but the video above has a misleading title. It's not actually about domain age but rather how long you register it for. According to Matt Cutts, it has no relevance to rankings.

Domain age matters yes, but the video above has a misleading title. It's not actually about domain age but rather how long you register it for. According to Matt Cutts, it has no relevance to rankings.

Cutts is the worst liar of all. Period and I dont want to talk about it. Little punk always misleading people.

Cutts is the worst liar of all. Period and I dont want to talk about it. Little punk always misleading people.

As one of the main SEO representatives of Google, everything I've come across in his videos and blog site are 100% accurate. The difference between Matt Cutts and the self proclaimed "SEO experts" on the internet, is that he actually works for google and leaks some extremely valuable information while busting many myths.

I didn't watch the video, and I never believe what Cutts says.. He's meant to stalk webmasters.. Nothing else..

I do listen to Cutts but don't believe everything he says. Domain age is an important factor that Google uses while ranking a website but I don't believe it helps to register a domain for long term right from the beginning. I usually register for a year and if the site looks promising, register it for multiple years during renewal.

I do listen to Cutts but don't believe everything he says. Domain age is an important factor that Google uses while ranking a website but I don't believe it helps to register a domain for long term right from the beginning. I usually register for a year and if the site looks promising, register it for multiple years during renewal.

I'm the same way. Since I own 60+ domains I pay annually for most of them. The only time I register long term is if one of my sites becomes a huge success and I want to make sure there's no chance of losing it, in which case I'll register 10 years in advance.

I'm the same way. Since I own 60+ domains I pay annually for most of them. The only time I register long term is if one of my sites becomes a huge success and I want to make sure there's no chance of losing it, in which case I'll register 10 years in advance.

Ten years? How much does that run-up per site?

I guess if you're gaurenteed, or have a high chance, of making your money back and then some, it'd be a fair trade.

• Administrators

10 Years is like $120 with a normal plan. On GoDaddy if you pay $99/yeah you get all your domains for $6.99. Which doesn't sound great, but it is when you get over the 30-40 domain mark, saves me a ton.

10 Years is like $120 with a normal plan. On GoDaddy if you pay $99/yeah you get all your domains for $6.99. Which doesn't sound great, but it is when you get over the 30-40 domain mark, saves me a ton.

Hang on... what? If you pay $99 per year you get your domains for $6.99 - what do you mean? New domain purchases?