How do you value .net?

Amdac

I've always been a fan of the top 3... com, net, org. However lately I've pretty much been dropping .org's out of my domain list and future registrations.

I've been registering a lot of .net's lately though and wonder if they're still up there in the same league as .com domains. I know they were never really at par, but are they still seen as a priority domain extension?

They will be highly valued. The Com is a us extension. And because of the SOPA & PIPA, most well known domains in the international sector are moving to local or net ones.

It will definately be a high quality extension in the years to come.

• Administrators

My .net sites rank just as good as my .com ones. In fact one of my highest PR sites is a .net

If I can't find the .com in a domain I'll grab the .net any day, they don't bother me one bit.

True people still think to type .com before .net but if you have a good site they will find you.

My .net sites rank just as good as my .com ones. In fact one of my highest PR sites is a .net

Hmm, that's making my think taking my .net site offline. One of my better domain names is a .net but I switched and went with a different .com instead.

You mean you recently changed a live site that was on .net to a .com domain?

It's a bit confusing. I started up a webmaster forum on a .com (in my signature), and about 2 months ago I started up a second webmaster forum on webmastertalk.net which in my opinion is a perfect name for the site. After I realized that 2 forums on the same topic is pointless, I pulled the .net offline only to realize that it was ranking way higher in google. The main reason for taking that one down is because the .com forwards to a competitor's site.

Ever since I did that though, I've been having second thoughts and this is always going to bother me. Grrr, I need a solution.

I think .net will get larger. It's slightly cheaper, and people investing in websites (first time developers) will always go for the cheaper domain. Also, as far as I know, .net is still a TLD. I've had a .net since 2010, it's paid until 2013 which I plan to keep for years to come.

If you have the opportunity, then register both of them. Depending on the contents of your website you may choose which one to use as primary domain, but I feel that .net is more a TLD for community websites - such as forums or blogs - while com is more a "general purpose" domain. Also bear in mind that the ctrl-enter combination appends .com in most browsers (like if you type 'google' and press ctrl-enter it will send you to www.google.com).

• 2 weeks later...

I think .net will always remain as the next best alternative to .com. I own plenty of .net domains and my developed .nets have always had great success - eg reaching a high PR within just 3 months. I don't see .org as being in the same range.

If I call correctly, net domains were for web or Internet based businesses. When I ran a local ISP in the late '90's, I had a net domain. I think that they are just as professional as com domains. It's just that most people assume that the web address is .com. I haven't bought a .net since that time.

Did you end up bringing it back?

I tried it out a couple months ago then ended up dropping it again since I had two forums up on the same topic. I feel like it almost has more potential than my current webmaster forum though. I have no clue what to do. :unknw:

.net domains are really good too. You should definately try it out. I have a few friends that have them and they are ranking better than the .com with just on page optimization. Also why dont you do a redirect from your .com doain to .net one? That should pass all the link juice back to .net.

• 3 weeks later...

I value .net the same as I value .com

Really. It has been said already in this topic and it's true. .net rank as good as .com domains. Most of my domains are .net and they are as good as the .com ones. I think that day by day people are are accepting more .net domain, which didn't happen a few years ago, in my opinion.

As for the .org, I'm not a fan. But this is a personal taste.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the .net has almost as much value as the .com domain does. Those are the only two true Top Level Domain extensions, the only two that are seriously worthy of ranking, and the only two I'd ever consider starting a website with (unless it was a UK-only site which I'd go for the .co.uk). A great domain extension .net is.

The .net domain will be better. The .com sites will stay but it is still classified as a US based site. The internet is more international than ever and I wouldn't be surprised if .net takes over the majority of internet sites.

Edited by johnr