Best place to learn programming

BarryLejieg

I am a big fan of jQuery and JavaScript in general and I have to mention I have become a great fan of JS only because of this amazing website where I learned most of the things I know about JavaScript and few other programming languages.

It's called CodeAcademy, it's completely interactive and you can learn a lot there.

Well, maybe it is because I already knew how to code, but I did some of the android tutorials, and well, in comparison with really codding on android, it is really different, the android section (which is the only I tried) lacked of real information... Anyway it is my opinion based on a single section of the website...

Well, maybe it is because I already knew how to code, but I did some of the android tutorials, and well, in comparison with really codding on android, it is really different, the android section (which is the only I tried) lacked of real information... Anyway it is my opinion based on a single section of the website...

Well that depends from course to course. There are many authors and to be honest I've seen JavaScript courses that even a complete beginner would explain better. But still, I think that you probably have advanced knowledge in Android development and that stuff that you read in CodeAcademy was to shallow for you. 

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I'd recommend Coursera. I completed some of their courses and they have a few interesting ones for programming as well. I audited the Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems course but couldn't finish it due to lack of time, however I'm planning to watch the videos by myself when I'll have some more free time available.

They also have a bunch of interesting R courses grouped under the Data Science Specialization.

• 7 months later...

I'd recommend Coursera. I completed some of their courses and they have a few interesting ones for programming as well. I audited the Programming Mobile Applications for Android Handheld Systems course but couldn't finish it due to lack of time, however I'm planning to watch the videos by myself when I'll have some more free time available.

Last year I also enrolled on that course but just like you I couldn't finish it because of time issues. About a week ago I got an email from the instructors of the course saying that we could publish an app on Amazon's store to get a $20 gift card there so right now I'm trying to watch all the videos to see if I can have my app ready and working before the deadline so I can get one of those cards.

To be honest I have found that the best way to learn is to first master the basics and then just start doing projects.

You will learn SO much doing real-life, practical projects.

When I first started programming I hardly knew anything but I was enthusiastic about creating my own forum software. So knowing only a few basic things about HTML I dove in and starting making it. At that time I was probably doing more research than coding but as I built the software I learned more and more. Once I neared the end of creating it I realized that whole thing was crap, built on a horrible foundation.

So I dumped it and started over again. By this time I knew 10x more than I used to and was able to make a much better foundation. I finished it only a few months ago and it was a heck of a lot better than the other one. But even then I just decided to dump it and use it as an example project or something. It was good enough to try and sell. When building the second software package I learned just as much as I did during the first one. By the time I finished the second one I knew 10x more than I did before.

So after building two large forum software packages I've been able to pretty much master HTML and CSS. I'm also very good with JS and PHP although there is of course always something to learn.

To be honest I have found that the best way to learn is to first master the basics and then just start doing projects.

You will learn SO much doing real-life, practical projects.

When I first started programming I hardly knew anything but I was enthusiastic about creating my own forum software. So knowing only a few basic things about HTML I dove in and starting making it. At that time I was probably doing more research than coding but as I built the software I learned more and more. Once I neared the end of creating it I realized that whole thing was crap, built on a horrible foundation.

So I dumped it and started over again. By this time I knew 10x more than I used to and was able to make a much better foundation. I finished it only a few months ago and it was a heck of a lot better than the other one. But even then I just decided to dump it and use it as an example project or something. It was good enough to try and sell. When building the second software package I learned just as much as I did during the first one. By the time I finished the second one I knew 10x more than I did before.

So after building two large forum software packages I've been able to pretty much master HTML and CSS. I'm also very good with JS and PHP although there is of course always something to learn.

Here's the thing though, projects take time and effort (from what I've been told, I've never done a project yet, still in the learning stage) and you'll encounter a lot of bumps and errors along the way. I feel like you need a LOT of personal motivation to finish one, which not many people have...

Here's the thing though, projects take time and effort (from what I've been told, I've never done a project yet, still in the learning stage) and you'll encounter a lot of bumps and errors along the way. I feel like you need a LOT of personal motivation to finish one, which not many people have...

If you don't have the motivation to finish projects then I don't think programming is for you. Projects are the only way to get real experience and really cement the information in your mind. You can only gleam so much from tutorials along. Unless you actively use what you learn then you aren't really getting anywhere.

• 3 years later...

I agree that having a project is one of the best ways to learn and apply the lessons you have learned from a programming language.  My question is how does one find a project?  I'll be finishing my course on HTML and Javascript soon and I want to find a project where I can apply the skills that I have learned from that course.  Should I just find a website and copy how it is made?   Your thoughts would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I learn about website development about 1 year ago, but I did not take it seriously before and now I have the motivation again to continue learning that's why I join different forums like this. So one of the things got here is the code academy. I'll try it.

• 3 weeks later...

codeacademy or any free programming course sites are informational and we can learn any kinds programming of programming but among those courses there's a most efficient way to learn programming called " Real School/academy/university ", let's be practical. professors can teach u the trick and techniques on how to use the codes or formula, it is easy when someone is teaching you not like your just watching a videos on the internet, watching videos on the internet is also informational but it is not easy to if you don't know anything, must better if someone is teaching you, so you can focus on learning not like you are in the house watching videos and many people can distract you. me , i learn everything from school and i also learn some programming online and for me online courses is not for the beginners.

• 7 months later...

Solo learn has a good platform for learning programming languages. It's free and it's similar to code academy. I personally think that if you can not afford the education then I recommend next to tutorials on yt and sites like code academy and solo learn you start working alone in some program to practice, research, and experiment with, because it is best to learn through practice.

Well I've learned programming as a natural thing because I come from the family where my mother is a programmer. So since the childhood I was already kinda engaged into it.

Next step was school and extra courses. . So sadly I'm not really sure what should I recommend to you.

• 4 weeks later...

I started learning programming with the help of stacked overflow and various lessons on YouTube. Other than that, all my experience came from College. I honestly think that formal education is the best way to learn programming, however that shouldn't stop you from learning it!

Have you tried The Odin Project? It's kinda demanding, but if you're serious it could be very beneficial. Also, it's free, and I think they give you a certification when you finish the program (not sure about this one, though), but yeah, I think it's a very good option.

Another great website is edx online courses. They have several different programming courses you can choose from. In the summer, I started the Intro to Python course. The course teaches the information well and it is easy to understand. In addition you get to practice too, so you are applying the information you learn.

One of the most popular free places to learn coding is CodeAcademy. It is an online, interactive platform that offers free coding classes in 12 different programming languages including Python, Java, JavaScript. But of course you have to have the determination and the willingness to learn if you want to study programming. There are tons of resources on the Internet, however if you don't have the initiative then its of no use.

• 5 months later...