What is the best software to design Simple Website?

Godric

I think I know the answer. Dreamweaver. But i dont have a license and have to rely on a cracked version. So i am looking to free alternatives that give me ultra smooth finish with my websites.

For eg, Like the web 2.0 sites.A link to any video tutorial or normal tutorial would also be highly appreciated.

Thanks

You can do basic SEO fo websites with dreamweaver too. Here you just have to put them manually rather than using the plugins in wordpress.

And I know wordpress is good. But people here want 'HTML' page, even though it looks like a page from 1999.

If you want to design a simple website, then you could simply use a free program such as Serif Web Plus, which will design a simple (Bad looking in my opinion) website. If you wanted to go for a more modern style, then I'd look at getting Dreamweaver. It's a great piece of software, and has lots of features that would allow you to make a good looking website.

Hope this helps.

Dreamweaver is good for website design, if you've got limited experience. I know a lot of professionals still use it, however I personally don't like it. For a simple website, you could use a website template pre-built.

Can you give me some good dreamweaver ones? Links or sites would be cool. I dont have a problem with nulled theme too.

For a simple site, notepad all the way. :D

Unless I'm using a CMS platform, I use notepad for all my sites. I can't stand site builders and wish they were never created. :( It's like having a plane take off, fly, and land itself on auto-pilot and then bragging that you're an amazing pilot just because you were sitting in the pilot seat.

Unless I'm using a CMS platform, I use notepad for all my sites. I can't stand site builders and wish they were never created. :( It's like having a plane take off, fly, and land itself on auto-pilot and then bragging that you're an amazing pilot just because you were sitting in the pilot seat.

This is really fun :yes: I created my very first site with notepad, but I love website builders. They make life so much easier, but I do get your point.

I use Pspad too. But it will be a lot faster with templates. So I am willing to try some good ones.

For a simple site? Pure HTML in a basic text editor. You'll have an edge in SEO because you can handcraft all your meta tags exactly as you want for every page, and the lack of server-side processing will give you a nice speed boost. I don't recommend Dreamweaver. It's sort of the laughingstock of the web development world, and it's bloody expensive. A couple nice text editors for Windows are Sublime Text (paid) and Notepad++ (free). For Mac, TextWrangler (free) and TextMate (paid).

For a simple site? Pure HTML in a basic text editor. You'll have an edge in SEO because you can handcraft all your meta tags exactly as you want for every page, and the lack of server-side processing will give you a nice speed boost. I don't recommend Dreamweaver. It's sort of the laughingstock of the web development world, and it's bloody expensive. A couple nice text editors for Windows are Sublime Text (paid) and Notepad++ (free). For Mac, TextWrangler (free) and TextMate (paid).

SEO isn't a problem for me. I can do it easily with or without dreamweaver. What i need is a software to give me webpages that have a smooth finish. Thanks for the input.

I think dreamweaver is a great software for you to design your website in. It is simple to use and really quick. It also has a side by side code and viewer. It is a great software.

Thanks Dk. But I need some free alternatives to create websites like the web 2.0 ones.

Dreamweaver isn't all that good. It usually inserts loads of stuff that you don't really need. Getting WYSIWYG code to validate by the W3 standards can be a though job as well. If you're looking for the web 2.0 design, you should be looking at CSS 2 and 3. Especially border-radius, box-shadow and the gradient tools. I haven't used Dreamweaver for a while, but I don't think it supports those things. I prefer to code all my pages by hand in Notepad++.

Dreamweaver is no doubt the best out there, but it's semi-unrealiable. It uses an IE6 style system, so when styling in Dreamweaver and testing in browser it could look completely different. I use Notepad++ for most of my design. I don't design much though, I'm usually in PHP. I do use Dreamweaver for the PHP code, due to syntax highlighting and error reporting.

Nathan is right if you need a quick, simple solution with good results a wordpress site is probably the fastest and easiest route to take. They also help with indexing on google and other search engines so the SEO for it isn't too bad. I would try Wordpress before anything else. If you're not looking for a framework and just a static site with a few easy pages, I would use something like dreamweaver or taco edit to whip up a few HTML pages with some CSS to make the site look pretty and unified. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Photoshop and KompoZer.

I had a couple websites to design and code for clients. I started using Dreamweaver but switched over to KompoZer.

I highly recommend it. It's the best free alternative to Dreamweaver.

Hope this helps :)

-James

Thanks man. I will check it out. Is it the same as artiseer? I heard that they were good.

Photoshop and KompoZer.

I had a couple websites to design and code for clients. I started using Dreamweaver but switched over to KompoZer.

I highly recommend it. It's the best free alternative to Dreamweaver.

Hope this helps :)

-James

+1 for Komozer. It's one of the best and lightest apps to code in.

For Mac users, TextMate is the way to go..

• 2 weeks later...

Notepad++

For a simple site, hand crafting in my view is the way to go. Nothing gives you the level of control that directly writing it does.

Yes its true, that writing it from scratch can take a long time. However that is not strictly true, generally one can build up a "library" of assets which can be re-used over and over again.

I have basic skeletons/templates that I can use to write up a site faster than you can install WP and configure it.

Design a website? Well Dream Weaver is the simplest way of designing it (unless you hand draw which is what I do)

But if I need to get a website up without really caring about it then I would choose WordPress. Simply, easy to use and really SEO friendly. If there is a feature I need then there is normally numbers programs.

Notepad++

For a simple site, hand crafting in my view is the way to go. Nothing gives you the level of control that directly writing it does.

Yes its true, that writing it from scratch can take a long time. However that is not strictly true, generally one can build up a "library" of assets which can be re-used over and over again.

I have basic skeletons/templates that I can use to write up a site faster than you can install WP and configure it.

I do agree that if you need to do a dynamic website that uses a database to fetch/retrieve data from the Database then you can create assets files but we must remember that simple websites often don't need any special things like a database, dynamic content or really anything more then a simple HTML document.

I think that is what it really gets down to. If the website you need is a simple HTML then you are better off going for WordPress as it does most things for you.

Finally we should all remember that for someone to create a simple website they will need to know at least a little of HTML, CSS and basic website design.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah DreamWeaver is good but I don't use it much. I just use sites like quackit.com. Have you tried this one? This is pretty easy to use and very simple. If I need a quick design for a site, I can make it in a day or less with quackit. I am not professional though that'sy why I would prefer it over Dreamweaver. :)

Personally I use Notepad ++. I find that by using Notepad or another program that only shows a code view means you don't get all the extra bulk added to your web pages that Dreamweaver often adds and also you actually understand better what the code behind you site is doing. If you use Dreamweaver and go and add things to the template in the design view you aren't going to know exactly what's been added to your code.

I use Notepad++ over Notepad as it uses syntax highlighting which makes it easier to spot little mistakes such as if you've forgotten to close a tag. It also shows line numbers which can be good for PHP etc where errors are reported on certain lines and you can use tabs which I find makes it far nicer to navigate.